Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand or gravel?

After only being a member for two days I am now convinced I need to converting my 45 to a 125. I prefer the look of a sand base tank. I currently have crushed coral. I am wondering which you would suggest and why?? You people really know your stuff. IM IMPRESSED

Old 11-14-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Most people prefer a DSB which is a sand bed 4-5 inches deep. It is basically the only thing besides water changes that will reduce nitrates in your tank. If you're staying with fish only it's not as important. If you do a search on here you will find tons of imformation on sand beds including what sand to use( $5 bag of 50lb at home depot is the cheapest) as well as why people think they are better than a cc bottom.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

just my opinion but i would go with a shallow sand bed of about 1". But if a dsb is what you want then by all means go for it. Aragonite sand is better than cc simply because it wont trap food and detritus like cc will.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats good to know. I really have had no problem with the cc base. My nirates & ammonia levels are always right on. I always thought that the cleaners I have in there needed some stuff to get trapped so they got some food too....Maybe Im off on this one??
Old 11-14-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have cc and it grows all kinds of green and red stuff growing on it. I am cleaning it weekly. What would it take to switch to sand type substrate?
Old 11-14-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i use an aragonite substrate and go with 1 - 1.5" depth and have no problems with nitates
Old 11-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

cyber thats probably not a good thing and it sounds like cyano which is typical of a tank with too many nitrates and phosphates. Id switch to sand if i were you. I think there's an article about how to do it in the articles section.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cat
i use an aragonite substrate and go with 1 - 1.5" depth and have no problems with nitates
I thought that sand was supposed to be several inches to keep nitrates down, am I wrong here?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i read that also, every one talks about dsb being good for it, i have no problem with nitrate in my tank i think steve-s has the same depth as me and no nitrate problem as well.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
I thought that sand was supposed to be several inches to keep nitrates down, am I wrong here?
Not exactly,

Most people who do not have a DSB, have other things in place to absorb or utilize Nitrates and covert it to Nitrogen, such as a refugium with macroalgae like Caulerpa, etc... LR in a tank by itself is just not enough... Nitrates will elevate eventually unless good size water changes take place regularly, skimming is done, or it is fed in starvation proportions...It is inevetable that the decomposition of waste becomes nitrate and phosphate...it is nature.

I guess if you have 2.5 lbs per gal of LR, total denitrification could happen, however, if it is good quality LR, you would have a hard time putting all of it in the tank... The heavier/denser it is, the less porous it is and thus less de-nitrification takes place..

DSB's have been proven time and time again to be beneficial just as refugiums, and other means means of exportation have.. The decision is up to the individual and what they want to do... what works for some may not work for others...

I HTH

Tags
gravel, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com