Sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan p

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a new tank today and I'm trying to figure out what sand to use. All my aquariums have crushed coral but I'm on a budget and have seen a lot of people are using play sand. Can I get white play sand that would Match crushed coral. I would like to do some crushed coral on the bottom and play sand on top or some other sand that would match

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't mix the crushed coral and sand. The sand will settle to the bottom and you'll end up with a crushed coral top.
Play sand isn't used, but pool filter sand is. Some claim that it is silicate heavy, but many members have used it with success.

Well what do you use I want something finer then crushed coral that's also white and won't mess with the water chemistry

Agrigate based sands work. I simply bought that bagged sand. I think mine was Caribsea sand just off of limited availability in my area and had to order in.

Is silica harmful to fish?

No, it'll feed a longer than average diatom bloom. That said, everyone has a diatom bloom in their tanks because of the silicates in our rocks and sand that naturally dies off once they are all consumed.

I think most people use the caribsea for their tanks I used it also its a little pricey at about $30 a bag

I've used that also I went with silica filter sand and laid aragalive be over the top.

Back
Top Bottom