Sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscadoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok guys please dont shoot me for asking but i need some advice on sand. Ive just started with a jewel 180 vision with caribsea argonite sand and live rock. The tank isnt cycled but ive already decided to go for something bigger. Now im upgrading to a 350 litre but after the tank, live rock and additonal powerheads i am struggling to afford the extra sand. As i said im currently using caribsea argonite sand which will be put into the 350. Can i mix a normal non live sand into what ive got currently? What can you suggest

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is no reason to ever buy live sand. Sand will become live over time after the tank is cycled. Get what you can afford to make it happen and cycle the tank. Some use pool filter sand, though I never have done so personally. I know Carey is a big advocate of pool filter sand.

I made the mistake paying extra for live sand. Can't say I got any benefit out of it other than paying more per pound for wet sand. In retrospect it sounds wildly foolish. Live rock I like. Since you already have live rock sufficient to get the cycle process going, I would buy dry rock if you need more. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that the sand you have is sufficient and that a 1/4 inch sand bed is plenty.

Thanks. I thought it was BS when i bought it but they only had caribsea left in any quantity or a 1kg bag of crushed coral.. so i just paid for it, figured mixing would just help the normal sand to cycle a little faster but doesnt the same thing apply with live sand as it would for bottled BB it just dies cause there is no oxygen in the water?? Anyway should i be getting crushed coral sand, silca sand or ??? Any reputable brands for a good price?

I would go with aragonite sand. Back when I started my first sw tank I was under the impression that crushed coral with fine sand one top was the way to go. Inevitably they mixed. Never liked the look of crushed coral, and I've heard its harder to keep clean.

Isnt argonite live sand or can you get just normal argonite i cant really afford to shell out another £100 for sand

If you can get any type of agregate, that will be best. Others are much more silicate based and will have a larger amount of diatoms bloom and it will last some time. Not really that big of a deal...but ugly and can easily be stressful.

Ok cool thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom