sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
before i put southdown sand into my tank do i need to clean or do anything else to it? also what makes the southdown sand ok?

thank ya kindly!

before i put southdown sand into my tank do i need to clean or do anything else to it?

IMO, no. For a DSB you want a variety of grain sizes, to include the dust and silt. Be warned, the tank will be cloudy as all get out for a week or so, but it will settle and once there is some bacteria built on the sand, and disturbace will settle rather quickly.

also what makes the southdown sand ok?

Southdown sand is the exact same sand you would get if your were to buy Aragamax from Caribsea. They both come from the exact same supplier, from the sand sand, just put into different bags.

ahhh ok i see.... also are there any other types of cheap sand you can get that will work?

You can use 100% silica sand, although most find the aragonite sand (SouthDown) to be a better substrate for the worms and pods. The silica tends to have very sharp edges which can injure the fauna as they move through it.

also when i add it should i keep my powerhead running? thanks again

You don't want it causing alot of turbulance in the sand bed, but IMO, yes you should run a powerhead. Just don't point it at the sand.

Back
Top Bottom