Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

See if you can find a local aquarium club or forum in your area. Many times these folks have South Down/Old Castle sand. I know a club in my area purchased 3 pallets of this stuff. I paid $5 for a 50# bag of it about 3 months ago.

Also, according to Home Depot this sand has been discontinued at all locations. Take that for what's it worth, but I heard this several times.

One other idea, try Pet Smart or Petco. I got 2 20# bags of CaribSea white moon sand from Pet Smart for $8 each (clearance item) but they still stock it in store?

Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear

I just put 150# of the white toys r us play sand in my 75g. Now I just have to wait for my rock.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I assume you read the linked post? I like what it had to say, but I can't say I am willing to take the risks. Before you fill up think long and hard about this. Sure, you can swap/change substrate later, but it's a HUGE PITA.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

The article you linked to (although I did not read the entire thing) is correct that silica based sands will not CAUSE harm to your system. I will argue that they are less benificial, but nothing more. If an argonite sand is that out of reach there is nothing wrong with using a silica based sand, just be SURE it is sterilized play sand. You don't want to just grab a bag of quick-crete sand... who knows what you'll be getting mixed in with it.

Argonite sand has multiple benifits to an aquarium. As mentioned already, the calcium acts as a Ph buffer for the system. The grains vary greatly in size which helps foster an active and diversive fauna population in your sand bed as well as the "softer edges" that argonite sand offers. Look at this microscopic comparison of different sands.

HTH
Old 03-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that quickcrete playsand looks like some bad stuff. Good link though!
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I personally wouldn't risk a $4-10k investment on $100-300 worth of sand. Unless the quick-rete sand is sterilized (and even if it is), I would rather just invest a bit more money on getting stuff that is proven, will help with my setup, and won't hurt inverts & sand sifting critters.

Who would risk a $30,000 sports car on cheap wheels that were made for a playground tricycle? It could work... but IMO, I'd just stay away from it. 8)

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com