Sand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butters

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok Im about 5 days into my cycle and Ive noticed a white film thats been growing everywhere. I know this is normal but should I remove it from the tank or let it break down?

my main question is I have 3 pink colored spots on top of my DSB. looks like the sand just turned color. what is this? should I remove it/stir the sand/leave it alone etc?

im still not leaving the lights on to long prolly 4 hours max to prevent the algae growth.

also found a green worm about 3 inches big still alive but he just burried himself in the sand. i thought he was dead untill i removed him from the tank. I put him back and now hes gone heh. I had no idea stuff could survive the toxic ammonia.

Butters said:
Ok Im about 5 days into my cycle and Ive noticed a white film thats been growing everywhere. I know this is normal but should I remove it from the tank or let it break down?

Leave it, most likely large bacterial colonies from the ammonia or film algae. They come and go. It's not going to hurt anthing. If it's been there from the beginning, it's more likely fine sand particles/dust film.

my main question is I have 3 pink colored spots on top of my DSB. looks like the sand just turned color. what is this? should I remove it/stir the sand/leave it alone etc?

Again leave it. Most likely the beginnings of cyanobacteria and once the tank has gone through it's "newness" stages, the fuel source that feeds the problem will burn itself out.

im still not leaving the lights on to long prolly 4 hours max to prevent the algae growth.

Try as you may, it won't stop it only minimize the algae growths. In a new tank these are to be expected and should not be impeeded. What was the source water used in setting up?

also found a green worm about 3 inches big still alive but he just burried himself in the sand. i thought he was dead untill i removed him from the tank. I put him back and now hes gone heh. I had no idea stuff could survive the toxic ammonia.

Lots of fauna, fluora and other animals will survive the cycle. You will be very suprised. Don't do anything when finding them even if dead. They all add to the process.

Cheers
Steve

I used regular tap water but used the aqua plus conditioner. thanks for the reply.

Most likely using the tap water, you have also introduced certain metals, phosphates and silicates that these types of algaes use as food sources.

I would strongly recommend purchasing an RO unit or possibley buy the water from the local grocers for your change/top off water. As long as you keep using the tap water, you will keep introducing "fuel for the fire".

Best of luck!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom