sand ? (sand vs crushed coral)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don’t understand how you do a wc/vac without siphoning out a bunch of the sand every time. My lfs tried to say something like stir it up before but I really don’t understand. I used crushed coral in my tank and I’m also curious to ask if I could add sand to it?
Thanks,
Mike

I have CC and sand in my tank. You kind have to kink the hose so the water flow into your waste bucket is not too fast. When you see the sand getting sucked up and starting to clog the tube, kink/pinch the hose to slow the water flow. It takes practice! LOL!!
Some more experienced folks might have a better way.

I dont touch my sand. I have given that responsibility to my clean up crew and gobies. There is no need to vacuum sand.

i also have had great success with a clean up crew i would give a link but i dont know if i can. if its against the rules here? they got great SW fish and inverts. and cheap too.
thanks
burlinn

no i dont think u get bad live stock i have never and i have been dealing with them for years. www.liveaquaria.com . they even give 14 day warrenty its cool i did have a clown that died in shipping and they replaced him so quick
thanks
burlinn

i dont touch my sand either...i have about 10-15 nassarius snails that clean the sand well.

Sorry, I missed the "sand" part.....Was just excited that I am getting rid of my CC!

Can I still put a cleanup crew in my tank if I am using crushed coral? Do the snails, crabs, and things like an Urchin need sand or is the CC ok? I am considering switching to sand. If I do switch does anybody have recommendations as to what to use? I read on here the article on how to switch and also about Yard right/old castle sand, should I use any “live sand” or just the dry?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom