Sand Shifting Star growing back????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottdillon2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I came in to work this morning and found something has eating about 1/2 of my sand shifter. Should he come out or will everything grow back? My concern is that something ate to appendages all the way up to it's mouth. Any thoughts on what to do?

Are you sure it was eaten off? Sometimes when they get really stressed out a leg will just fall off. If that is the case, it should grow back.

Can you take a photo of how far in it is? I would be very concerned about it being at his mouth.

I unfortunately do not have a camera. I can flip him over and look but I dont want to disturb him. The two legs that are gone were next to each other and he is missing everything up to the center. I only have a clown, damsel, lawnmower, snails, hermits, emerald crab, and peppermint shrimp (small). I had a banded coral, but have not seen him in some time.

Could be he was starving. Didja first notice any softness of the body - where sand stuck to him more thn usual? That would've been a sign of him starting to decay and consume his own body for lack of food in the tank's sand bed. After the sand sticks more than in the past, one can expect legs to start falling off.

I'm afraid he's a goner. I 've had three go that way. Won't try any more. Using sand sifter snails instead now.

I am not sure that any of those fish and inverts would eat him. The only one I might think would be the emerald crab... but I am not sure.

I would suggest that you not mess with him, just keep an eye on him for a few days. I would say that if he gets any worse he might die, but I would assume that he will just grow the legs back.

Have you tested your water? That might be the cause.

I have 3 emerald crabs in mine and when they get the chance they will pick at him (choclate starfish)... The starfish will scurry away as quick as possible and has learned to stay away from the live rock. It wouldn`t suprise me if you crabs got a piece of him if they are hungry!

Well he is in the QT tank now. It isnt looking good and I am making funeral arrangements at this point. Thanks for the help everyone!

sand sifters are hard to take care of considering they eat thereselves out of house and home... site feeding is the only way to combate their huge eating habits... but it usually fails. I would not get another sand sifter because they eat all the good things in your live sand.

Back
Top Bottom