Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

well... before we go any further, why don't you give us a quick run down of all the equip and everything else you have, what you've done so far, and what you want to "Accomplish" with the tank and we'll help you out as best we can!

Old 09-21-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to minnierdz
alrighty then well i have a 55 gal aquarium with a powerhead..i don't know how you judge them speed? and a canister filter a heater, although i don't think we're going to actually need that one..yet..a 48 inch double bulb lighting fixture, glass tops and well the salty water (redsea salt) we have the testing kit, i've tested the salinity, its ok for now, and the ph is fine also. THe ammonia is high and the nitrite ? has turned up as zero as of last night. We also have a 50 lb bag of sterilized and cleaned play sand and 20 lb bag of live sand that have not been introduced. we also have a green little bubble thingy (aireator) i dont' know how to spell it...what i'm hoping to accomplish is to get my tank cycles and then add some fish and maintain that with live rock with some invertabrates to help keep the tank clean. nothing too fancy.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
what do you have in there now. do you have your live sand in with your live rocks?
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:39 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

you measure a powerhead by the gallons per hour (GPH) that it pumps. You will want more than one.

probably won't need the canister filter either (with a DSB and LR that will be all the filtration you need)

without a sump, you'll want to get rid of the glass tops. See if you can find some "eggcrate" to use as a cover instead. the glass tops prevent adequate airflow over the tank, which hampers the oxygen exchange.

you won't want the airstone either. I say, if you can, turn in the canister filter, glass tops and airpump/sirstone and buy a couple more powerheads and some eggcrate.

you'll want enough powerheads to give you about 500+ GPH to give you adequate water movement around the rock and surface of the tank. 2-3 PHs would work well. One directed across the surface of the tank will help maintain your oxygen, and a couple more to clash in the middle to give you some decent turbulance. You want this to keep detritus and other waste from setteling and collecting in "Dead zones"

check out our articles section you'll find a lot there on the nintrogen cycle, cycling with raw shrimp etc.

Add in your play sand, put your "live sand" on top of that and let it settle while you go get a couple more powerheads (your tank will be cloudy for a while, get a plastic turkey baster for blowing the sand and silt off of your LR). Go to the grocery store and pick up a small, fresh, uncooked and never frozen shrimp. Drop it in the tank and follow the directions in the article above. In a couple weeks you'll be ready to start quarentining your first couple of fish!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #15

ok..well the reason we had the glass tops was i thought to keep the light fixtures from gettin wet..? how does this eggcrate thing work?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

some examples of eggcrate:
http://www.simplyltg.com/acatalog/On...ouvers_10.html

it allows the light and air to pass through but keeps fish from jumping out. If you're concerned about splash reaching the bulbs you can either raise the lights up off of the eggcrate or your can put just a single piece of the glass tops under the lights (but still leaving the rest of the eggcrate unblocked)
Old 09-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much LR do you have?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #18

hm..i'll see about the egg crates..and as for the live rock, we only have about 30 lbs of it. I was thinkin of getting more, just depending on how filled the tank looked and stuff.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com