Sandbed turning all sorts of colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigchuck33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post on this forum. Can anyone suggest a cleanup crew for a 10g that will keep the sandbed clean. I think my main problem is cyanobacteria. It is reddish brown and stringy in some spots. I have been syphoning off as much as possible but I can't get it all, and the sand underneath it has turned green. I am using NSW and RO water for topoff.

TIA

ammonia 0.0
nitrites 0.0
nitrates 5 ppm
2X 10w 50/50 mini compact fluorecents
prizm skimmer

1 ocellaris clown
1 yellow tail damsel
1 stalk red sea xenia
some grape caulerpa

Is it a newer tank set up? I think you are describing "red slime" it looks like a velvet color. I had the same problem when i first started with my 55 gallon, and currently with a smaller newer mini reef 20 gallon tank. Just keep the skimmer running and it will go away in a few. But in the meantime i just lightly stir the sand up and that makes it look good for a few days.

YOu might need to increase the water flow in your tank. Doing less feedings and increased water changes can help.

One thing that might be a source of problem is the NSW. Its possible the water is polluted or is bringing into the system more nutrients than your system is prepared to handle.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll just wait it out and start mixing my own saltwater just in case thats the problem.

Back
Top Bottom