Sargassum Frogfish/Macro algae tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micco28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to start up a tank with a Sargassum Fish (Histrio histrio) and I was thinking about making it a macro algae planted tank too.

The macro algae will let the H. histrio hide, but I want to make sure that the one I've picked out will work. So I was thinking about:

Animals-
Sargassum Frogfish
Harlequin Serpent Star

Macros-
Either Hypnea pannosa or blue ochtodes
Either Cladophora prolifera or maiden's hair
Blue Scroll
Red grape caulerpa
Baggy seaweed

I'll have live rock, but I don't know what substrate to use in between the rocks. Fine? Coarse?

I know I'll need a skimmer and probably a power head too.

(I have no problems feeding the live food needed)

Please let me know if I missed anything or if you have any suggestions :)

Skip the caulerpa. If you want a red flowy look you can always get something like dragon's breath or something similar that won't be so invasive.

I had worried about that since I know other caulerpa are very invasive, but I was hoping this kind would be more reserved. I do like the dragon's breath and I'll go with that instead

I just bought a 40 gal breeder! It was the second to last day of the $1 a gal sale at Petco so I went a head and bought the tank, a stand, and a cover for way less then my original plan :)

I'm thinking about using an Eheim 200w Jager heater, anyone have experience with these?

Also for lighting I'm thinking about using Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, anyone have experience with these?

What do you think about this aquascape? I've not epoxied it together yet

Attachments

• AQSC1.jpg
    AQSC1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 97
+1 for the Eheim Jager, I know a lot of people that won't use any other heater. I've read good things about the Finnex FugeRay on freshwater planted tanks and plan on getting one myself, but otherwise can't say anything o else about it.
I'd like to comment on the aquascape, but I don't have the service to load it.
Any plans for the skimmer yet?

Back
Top Bottom