Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by tawolcott View Post
'It really would not do much harm to the glass'

I would respectfully disagree. Every orifice introduced to a horizontal plane weakens the plane. That weakness is exacerbated as the length to width correlation is increased. Not to mention how the thickness of the plan and the tensile strength of the material contributes.

When drilling the verticle plan of an aquarium (which is must thicker than a glass canopy), it is the strength of the bulkhead that spans the opening and makes up for the loss of structure.

Again, do not drill multiple holes in a sheet of glass and expect it to perform as it did before. Or even close. Especially when the use of that glass is in the horizontal position and relatively thin. You will lose structural integrity, you will see cracks begin to appear spreading from the hole locations and you will eventually have a failure unless some other bridging of the structure is introduced
WOW I never knew that thank you I was always under the impression that as long as you dont put alot into it hole wise it would be fine , Either way Like kurt said use the legs it also helps to get air circulation around the light

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by Sadielynn View Post
Either way Like kurt said use the legs it also helps to get air circulation around the light
Yes, I am definitely going to order the legs with the light. Sounds like I'll avoid the glass canopy for now. My only concern with using the egg crate or no top is the water tends to evaporate a lot faster. Well that, and I'm sure our cat would love no top.

pjcozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
The eggcrate SHOULD keep the cat out. Heck, The eggcrate on mine practically keeps ME out. As for evaporation??? YES, it will increase exponentially. I had to get an ATO setup after I replaced my top with eggcrate and upgraded my lights.

You can do your own ATO setup or go with a complete system like this...

C-Level Automatic Replenisher - C-Horse Systems, Inc.

usmcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com