Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Those guys would get along. How big is the tank? Keeping a large enough supply of pods is a struggle. I kept at it every 2 months adding more and don't think it was enough. He was always fat so I didn't worry. Just this week I caught him eating small mysis. Unexpected behavior I wasn't training for and is HIGHLY unlikely to ever happen if being trained with a feeding station. For any dragonette you'll want to prepare your tank for some time, culturing pods and having a lush Refugium for them to breed in.
I did a flashlight test, after the lights had been off a couple of hours & I saw lots of bugs! Probably Amphipods. So, where does that leave me on having a Mandarin? I do not mind regularly supplementing his diet. Money is not an object although I enjoy being thrifty & don't like spending more than I have to on equipment, feeding a neat fish is not a prob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I do not suggest you get a mandarin. I don't think you can support one for very long. They eat a tremendous amount of pods and I would not suggest one for a smaller tank, and especially one that's as young as yours. It will slowly starve to death.
It's a 75 gal. I moved it, so does that make it "young?" I'm the 3rd owner, so I'm guessing 6/7-10 years old. The previous owner even said to me, when you see bugs, don't worry about them, they're good. At the time, IDK what he was referring to but I knew it was an Eco-system so naturally I woulda just asked you guys what they were & not panicked.

Also, although I ask these questions, I also research them. I like to get my answers from multiple sources. I would not let a fish starve. What amount of Copepods are we talking?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Dragonettes pick all day long. They eat a pod every minute they are awake. Even though it is a 75, I wouldn't try it without a thriving Refugium so the pods could reproduce in a safe place without being wiped out by the mandarin. Having a lot isn't always as much as you think, and can be consumed in one day alone. These fish are hard to keep.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Dragonettes pick all day long. They eat a pod every minute they are awake. Even though it is a 75, I wouldn't try it without a thriving Refugium so the pods could reproduce in a safe place without being wiped out by the mandarin. Having a lot isn't always as much as you think, and can be consumed in one day alone. These fish are hard to keep.
I appreciate your input. At what point can I get this fish? Why does Live Aquaria say 30gal+? I have a lighted sump w/ live rock I've converted to a semi-refugium & am going to put chaeto in it, I will seed it w/ Copepods. When will I know I've got it going well to get a Mandarin? Is a 75 just never going to support a Madarin?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The Refugium really help produce the pods that you'd need. I'd seed it heavily and see what happens in terms of sustaining them in the cheato before making any decisions. They need a ton of pods. Even if you get one that eats mysis there is a chance they will revert back to pods only.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The Refugium really help produce the pods that you'd need. I'd seed it heavily and see what happens in terms of sustaining them in the cheato before making any decisions. They need a ton of pods. Even if you get one that eats mysis there is a chance they will revert back to pods only.
Ok, Thks! I'll start putting the pods in & I'll research the pods' life cycle and go from there. I'll check back in when I think I've got a good population going. I'm itching to put more fish in, besides CUC & a shrimp, I only have 2 fish!!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think the move could have stunned the growth of the pod population. I would try a mandarin in a 75, but I would give it 6 months or so first, providing there is enough rock.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I think the move could have stunned the growth of the pod population. I would try a mandarin in a 75, but I would give it 6 months or so first, providing there is enough rock.
Ok, sounds like a plan. Thks! I just wonder if there's any rule of thumb to test in 6 months that my pod population is good??
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is totally crazy, but I have million ba-jillion Copepods in my snail tank! I'd say 40+ per square inch & they're everywhere in the water column. I'm gonna throw a piece of filter floss in there, there already is live rock rubble. I'll use that filter floss to seed my refugium. I took a vid. I'll try to upload it to an online server & post it here. Looks like I'll have an ongoing supply of Copepods!! I'll put my daughter in charge of making sure the population is good & that'll keep her involved & busy!

So I guess I don't have to go buy any to get started!!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a vid of my snail tank w/ Copepods

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Ta...86187.mp4.html
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Try the filter floss and see if you can keep that population up.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com