Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Try the filter floss and see if you can keep that population up.
Ok, Thks! ! I also read they like phytoplankton so I'll culture that & feed them that in the snail tank.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTank View Post

Ok, Thks! ! I also read they like phytoplankton so I'll culture that & feed them that in the snail tank.
The big ones eat many things, but the babies prefer phyto. The population will explode if you feed them. And for dragonettes, that's a good thing. Just watch your organic levels as phyto can screw them up.

I used a dark colored 5 gallon bucket to culture mine. Just use old aquarium water and a sponge filter. I freeze glycerin free phyto into small ice cubes. It lasts a lot longer that way. Keeping a green water culture going is cheaper, but they crash unexpectedly and you can loose your pod factory. Change the water as needed. Pods will collect everywhere, but especially the sponge filter. Shake the filter and collect the pods then dump them into the display tank every few days. You will want a fine net to filter them out. Doing it this way, you should be able to stay ahead of a mandarin even in a small tank.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

The big ones eat many things, but the babies prefer phyto. The population will explode if you feed them. And for dragonettes, that's a good thing. Just watch your organic levels as phyto can screw them up.

I used a dark colored 5 gallon bucket to culture mine. Just use old aquarium water and a sponge filter. I freeze glycerin free phyto into small ice cubes. It lasts a lot longer that way. Keeping a green water culture going is cheaper, but they crash unexpectedly and you can loose your pod factory. Change the water as needed. Pods will collect everywhere, but especially the sponge filter. Shake the filter and collect the pods then dump them into the display tank every few days. You will want a fine net to filter them out. Doing it this way, you should be able to stay ahead of a mandarin even in a small tank.
Wow. Great info! Thanks!! Check out my show off photography in the General forum, there's a link in my signature.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I love your fish houses! Not enough importance is placed on having sleeping and hiding holes. I can see the graphic designer coming out. Very modern art.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I love your fish houses! Not enough importance is placed on having sleeping and hiding holes. I can see the graphic designer coming out. Very modern art.
Thank you!! I'm a person who takes hobbies very seriously. I want to do everything right, I don't take making sure my fish are happy lightly, so yes, lots of ledges, crevices & caves!!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTank View Post

Thank you!! I'm a person who takes hobbies very seriously. I want to do everything right, I don't take making sure my fish are happy lightly, so yes, lots of ledges, crevices & caves!!
Just remember, even if you do everything right and even if you buy the best equipment in the world, the road ahead has some pot holes. Just keep calm and ride thru them.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Just remember, even if you do everything right and even if you buy the best equipment in the world, the road ahead has some pot holes. Just keep calm and ride thru them.
Of course! But the more you research & prep, the less likely for pitfalls... barring the uncontrollables!

With photography capabilities like myself, I need a dragonet, someday...
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #28
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I said that too and I still can't get a good shot of the bigger. Him or my marine betta. I just stick to photographing my beloved coral instead lol.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I said that too and I still can't get a good shot of the bigger. Him or my marine betta. I just stick to photographing my beloved coral instead lol.
It takes time & hundreds of shots to get a few good ones. I use a DSLR, lots of adjustments to the exposure, etc. I crank up the compensation for Fluorescent lighting, crank the exposure way down & the camera goes w/ 1/25 to 1/40 & even 1/60 for the shutter speed, any faster & the pics turn out dark. I imagine it'd be tough to get a faster constantly moving fish although the clowns aren't fast, they're pretty wiggly!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It's less about tons of shots and more about a fish you see once a day, maybe. I thought he was dead for 2 months until he showed up again. Then once a week and now once every couple days.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com