Saw an Amphipod or Copepod in my sump w/ Live Rock!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, Thks! ! I also read they like phytoplankton so I'll culture that & feed them that in the snail tank.

The big ones eat many things, but the babies prefer phyto. The population will explode if you feed them. And for dragonettes, that's a good thing. Just watch your organic levels as phyto can screw them up.

I used a dark colored 5 gallon bucket to culture mine. Just use old aquarium water and a sponge filter. I freeze glycerin free phyto into small ice cubes. It lasts a lot longer that way. Keeping a green water culture going is cheaper, but they crash unexpectedly and you can loose your pod factory. Change the water as needed. Pods will collect everywhere, but especially the sponge filter. Shake the filter and collect the pods then dump them into the display tank every few days. You will want a fine net to filter them out. Doing it this way, you should be able to stay ahead of a mandarin even in a small tank.

Last edited:
The big ones eat many things, but the babies prefer phyto. The population will explode if you feed them. And for dragonettes, that's a good thing. Just watch your organic levels as phyto can screw them up.

I used a dark colored 5 gallon bucket to culture mine. Just use old aquarium water and a sponge filter. I freeze glycerin free phyto into small ice cubes. It lasts a lot longer that way. Keeping a green water culture going is cheaper, but they crash unexpectedly and you can loose your pod factory. Change the water as needed. Pods will collect everywhere, but especially the sponge filter. Shake the filter and collect the pods then dump them into the display tank every few days. You will want a fine net to filter them out. Doing it this way, you should be able to stay ahead of a mandarin even in a small tank.

Wow. Great info! Thanks!! Check out my show off photography in the General forum, there's a link in my signature.

I love your fish houses! Not enough importance is placed on having sleeping and hiding holes. I can see the graphic designer coming out. Very modern art.

I love your fish houses! Not enough importance is placed on having sleeping and hiding holes. I can see the graphic designer coming out. Very modern art.

Thank you!! I'm a person who takes hobbies very seriously. I want to do everything right, I don't take making sure my fish are happy lightly, so yes, lots of ledges, crevices & caves!!

Thank you!! I'm a person who takes hobbies very seriously. I want to do everything right, I don't take making sure my fish are happy lightly, so yes, lots of ledges, crevices & caves!!

Just remember, even if you do everything right and even if you buy the best equipment in the world, the road ahead has some pot holes. Just keep calm and ride thru them.

Just remember, even if you do everything right and even if you buy the best equipment in the world, the road ahead has some pot holes. Just keep calm and ride thru them.

Of course! But the more you research & prep, the less likely for pitfalls... barring the uncontrollables!

With photography capabilities like myself, I need a dragonet, someday... ;)

I said that too and I still can't get a good shot of the bigger. Him or my marine betta. I just stick to photographing my beloved coral instead lol.

It takes time & hundreds of shots to get a few good ones. I use a DSLR, lots of adjustments to the exposure, etc. I crank up the compensation for Fluorescent lighting, crank the exposure way down & the camera goes w/ 1/25 to 1/40 & even 1/60 for the shutter speed, any faster & the pics turn out dark. I imagine it'd be tough to get a faster constantly moving fish although the clowns aren't fast, they're pretty wiggly!

It's less about tons of shots and more about a fish you see once a day, maybe. I thought he was dead for 2 months until he showed up again. Then once a week and now once every couple days.

That's why so many of my photos are on iPhone. I was a professional photographer years ago and have a D700 Nikon with a micro-nikkor lens, but never get to it in time.

I'm technically a Pro too but just scenes, generally not people. Just photog for brochures for businesses, etc.

Oh man... about not seeing your fish! That'd drive me NUTS! My Sea Cucumber, I only see about every 3 days too. I'm scared he's gonna die & poison the tank :\

Back
Top Bottom