Saw something on ebay is it okay? (Emailed GARF replied)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is maybe 1$ worth of stuff he sends you...
But you can get everything yerself...
just search aroundfor DIY{do it yourself}Live rock.
Dont buy it

type in aragocrete in their search...
then go down to aragocrete making.
they have way too many links....but if u surf around u will find many ways to do it...

are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this as far as water quality or anything? its been said not to use cc as a substrate, is ok to use it for lr?

I personally have not tried using this rock...
But I have read some people have success.
I also ave read some people say they had a few minor problems with it.

RogerMcAllen said:
Why isn't concrete bad for salt water? Does SW require a higher amount of Ca, so it doesn't matter when it leeches?

Concrete will leach into the water and basicly spike the PH. This is why people who make their own live rock via porclin cement and argonite or crused coral will soak their work in freshwater for weeks all the time changing the freshwater every so often to allow the new rocks to complete their curing process and to basicly stabilize the concrete towhere it has little affect on the water.

About a month ago I created several peices of really cool looking rocks by following the instruction at GARF. I purchased a 50lb bag of sand for $3, a 90lb bag of Portland concrete(the only size they had) for about $6, 20lb bag of Corallife Agrogonite for about $15, and got the styrofoam box from my LFS for free. If your a DIYer it's DEFINATLY worth trying out. I haven't added the rock to my salt tank yet, I wanted to see how it fairs with my cichlids first and seems to be working great.

I don't know about you guys/gals, but all of the images are ripped off of GARF'S website.. As well as the descriptions...I have sent an email to Leroy at GARF...

Will let you know what is returned....

I just put some homemade rock in water tonight. Turned out pretty good. Of course using the aragonite sand is a bit costly here since the aragonite play sand is not available.

My wife got the instructions off the GARF site. The stuff is 6 parts sand to 1 part cement. Buying the 90lb bag of portland cement sucked too.

She got a thrill out of making it :)

I used regular old playsand instead of aragonite lol ill see how it turns out

Ok,

I received a wonderful email thanking me, from Sally Jo and Leroy. The person in fact did steal all of the words and pictures from GARF. Stupid thing, they didn't link the images from GARF, rather copied them to their own web host, and didn't even change the names of the pictures... :twisted: I find this appauling.... :twisted:

The person on ebay that did this, I feel has no respect for anyone elses property and from what I understand, is banned from ebay now although I saw the site is still there.. The main thing that GARF was upset about other than the theft, was that there is so much information out there on their website, that it hurt to think that someone would do this....I guess this goes to show that money must really be the root of all evil :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom