Scared Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koco35

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added two clown fish to my tank and they dont ever leave the back corners of my biocube!

I believe it may be because I have had to put my hand in the tank repeatedly to pick up and replace a coral frag that my snails keep knocking over.

Does anyone have any suggestions for encouraging them to move around my tank more?

I know the first response i will receive is to keep my hands out of the tank but.... is there something else i could do?:angel:

I had pair that would swim about but one died so got other one the nxt day and put him in and he didn't really go anywhere but sit in the top corner so I would feed on other side of tank so he had to move and now he does swim bout but some clowns find a place they like and never really move about

What kind of flow do you have? I stick my hand in the tank almost daily and they don't move. I ask about the flow because is it possible they're in the corner with the most flow?

I had pair that would swim about but one died so got other one the nxt day and put him in and he didn't really go anywhere but sit in the top corner so I would feed on other side of tank so he had to move and now he does swim bout but some clowns find a place they like and never really move about

I feel like my hand in and out may be to blame but I am not sure.

I was replacing a frag a couple of times and then scraping algae off on another ocasion.

I am just feeling guilty and looking for a solution to a problem I fee like I created!
:banghead:

What kind of flow do you have? I stick my hand in the tank almost daily and they don't move. I ask about the flow because is it possible they're in the corner with the most flow?

Thanks for the responses!

I have a biocube with the standard water jet.

At the moment it is angled up to the top of the tank to keep it from blowing around my coral frags too much.

They have positioned themselves in the area with what appears to be the least flow and also the farthest from where my hand has been frequently.:facepalm:

Do you think I should adjust the water jet away from the surface?

I got my first set about a month ago, took them about 2 days to get comfortable. My hands are in the tank all the time, they will literally come up and swim through my fingers. Unless you just happened to get a really shy one I don't think it has to do with putting your hands in the tank... Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Clowns tend to find a place they like and hang out there most of the time. They might be hosting that back corner. If they've decided that's where they like to be, there's not a lot you can do, really.

I have a 29g cube and when i got my pair they did the same exact thing. I think its all part of them getting adjusted to the tank. Now they swim all over the place but as a past response stated they do have their favorite areas in the tank!

I had the same problem with mine give it time for them to adjust to there new home.I have a percula clown and a mis bared black and white clown,they both attack my hand when I put my hand in the tank

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I was just feeling very guilty like I had done something wrong... like mothers guilt for fish:(

I am glad to hear that this just part of the adjustment process.

Hopefully they have not hosted the back wall because then the front of the tank will look pretty empty!

Thanks again everyone:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom