Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleeper417

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently tried adding a Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp to my tank and it died. I used the drip acclimation method but no good. I tried 2 more times (bought 2 more scarlets) and they both kicked the bucket. My tank has a fire shrimp and a camel shrimp as well, and all my fishes seem fine.

Anyone know what's wrong?

The cleaners are highly sensitive to changes in water perameters and require high water quality. Have you checked your nitrates, ammonia..etc? Also how long have you had your tank up and running?

I need to follow this one since I have thought about getting a cleaner shrimp.

That's pretty odd. Most of my livestock goes through a very quick, or often non-existent aclimatization.

I know what my tank parameters are, so I usually test the water that the livestock comes in. IF the PH and salinity are close, then it's just temperature shock you really need to watch for.

Around here, the LFS are pretty good about salinity and PH. So, the specific gravity isn't usually too far off from what I have, so the aclimatization isn't too long.

I would check your own water parameters to be sure, then check that from the LFS. If they are too different then you've found your cause.

Considering the investments you already have in your aquarium you should really consider buying at least a basic test kit, which will check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. You can buy one by API for around $20.(API Saltwater Master Test Kit)

Back
Top Bottom