Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have both blue-legs and scarlets in both my reefs. No problems with either. I do make sure I have some extra shells in the tank if they need them.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have both and I think their value far outweighs any downside. As for being murders, I believe it is more the case of being opportunists.
snails (especially Turbo's) will die off, the hemits will take the weakened animal for its shell...not a bad purpose IMO.
Get the Hermits, they do a lot of good work. You can always add more snails.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to SsSarahsS
I have one very large blue legged hermit in my tank. It doesn't seem to cause any problems and it doesn't bother any of my snails. Well not yet.
~Look At My Gallery~Tell Me What You Think~
SsSarahsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have mexican red leg and scarlets in my tank. I have read of blue legs eating coralline, and since I am not rich, I do not have a lot of money to buy corals so the coralline needs to be there to look pretty.

The scarlets are not as active as the mexican red legs, but they are also less aggressive. I have lost 2-3 margherita and 1-2 nazarious snails. I am not sure if it is the crab killing them, but they are there to clean up the mess and take the shell. But, that is how it works in nature, and nature is what we are trying to replicate, so I do not feel bad.
phishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
After reading this thread, I went to the store and got some scarlet hermits. I already had the blue tips. They are all living happy in the tank together. I have not seen them fighting or anything.

I got about the same size hermits as were already in the tank.

Just thought I would share that...

JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote

blue leg hermit crabs, crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, scarlet hermit crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com