Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Scarlet Hermit Crabs Vs. Blue Leg Hermit Crabs

Is there much of a difference b/w the two besides 3 bucks more for scarlets and one is blue an one is red. I am planning my clean-up crew, even though i have a week or two before i can add. I was just wondering if there is a big difference. Which do you prefer and why?

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Reef Suitability: The Blue-Legged Hermit is the most commonly sold reef scavenger hermit. They do serve the role of being a scavenger well and help to keep the algae in the tank under control. Blue-Legged Hermits are known to occasionally kill and eat snails, but it is not a blood-bath. http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSh...ged_hermit.htm

The Scarlet Reef Hermit is a very popular crab because of its brilliant red color, yellow eyes, peaceful disposition, and algae diet. These hermits are an absolute must for any home aquarium. Most of their day is spent scurrying around the aquarium doing a tremendous job keeping aquariums clean of detritus and algae. Scarlet Hermits prefer to be kept in groups. They are voracious algae eaters.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/m-inver...rmit-Crab.html

I prefer the scarlet... Either will do though...

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have some blue legs in my 10 gallon. They occassionly hitch rides on the snails. But haven't appeared to try to eat them yet. The turbo snails are about 5 times their size though. I have lost a couple in 2 days though. I am not sure if they are starving or killing each other. I just added some extra shells recently.

I have heard blue legs are know to kill each other for little to no reason.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

will blue legs kill other hermits like scarlets?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The blue are know well known for shell jackings and will kill the victims. The scarlet hermits are not safe.

I got scarlet hermits myself and they have been more peacful than my cleaner shrimp.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I started with the blues. IMO, they are more violent than the reds. I'll get reds from now on. I've seen many snails dissapear. Even blue on blue crimes/assaults witnessed.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My blues have killed MANY of my snails...I also think that they killed all of my red-legged hermits, but I'm still not sure if they did it, or if it was my coral-banded shrimp. I'll probably buy red-legged ones from now on, though.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

When you say red leg, do you mean scarlets? if not how much do red legs go for? Thats good to know, cuz i was looking into gettin a Coral Banded Shrimp. Are these known to kill inverts?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

the CB shrimp can get nasty when they got big.... I had one and it was a killer..

IMO its a good idea to have a mixed clean up crew.. Different snails, crabs is good for the tank.
All crabs when they got larger want new shells so IMO they all have the ability to kill for a new home. Like others have said the blue seem to be mor violent then the scarlet...But I have both.. to avoid the the problem I buy bags of shells from the craft store and add them to the tank every few months.. The crabs come running out to check them out...
So after all my rambling..... I would get a mixed bunch of crabs and snails and some empty shells to keep the crabs happy.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Craft store, thats a good idea. Im gonna have to look into that. Im guessing with more shells they will be less likely to comit MURDER.

Tags
blue leg hermit crabs, crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, scarlet hermit crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com