Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2003, 08:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Scatches on Acrylic Tanks

Anyone have luck removing scratches on Acrylic tanks? Will it hurt the fish to do it while they are in the tank?

I scratched mine using an Acrylic magnet to remove algae. A piece of sand got catch in the magnet so now I have a few swirl scratchs on the front of the tank.

Please learn from my mistake!!!!

Old 11-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
There is an actual kit to remove scratches on acrylic tanks, you should be able to pick it up at your LFS for around $25. I"m pretty sure you can do it while the tank is up and running, I've heard it can be rather difficult to fix 100% though.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grrr ........ I won't use my stupid magnet scraper EVER again for precisely that reason.

For my entire life I had never used one, I always used a brillo pad or razor blade, and lo and behold a hagen magnet set came with a used 55 I bought a few months back, so I used it, carefully washing the pads between cleanings (apparently I missed a grain of sand).

SKREEEEK goes the scraper...... now I have scratches on my GLASS tank. This was last week.

Never again... sorry about your acrylic that sucks!!!!!

Razor blades or soft long handled scrapers have always worked and never scratched (for glass). I'm stickin with those from here on out.

Since you have an acrylic tank I think you can get plastic scraping blades for it (Don't use a razor blade on yours of course)
Old 11-19-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Magnets even scrape glass tanks? My tank is glass and I use a magnet but the tank was used when I bought it and has a fair amount of scratches already so I can't really tell if I'm adding more?

Don't know how true this is, but I've heard snails carrying sand can actually put little scratches on acrylic tanks when they crawl across the tank.

Tags
acrylic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com