Scatches on Acrylic Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNEMO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have luck removing scratches on Acrylic tanks? Will it hurt the fish to do it while they are in the tank?

I scratched mine using an Acrylic magnet to remove algae. A piece of sand got catch in the magnet so now I have a few swirl scratchs on the front of the tank. :oops:

Please learn from my mistake!!!!

There is an actual kit to remove scratches on acrylic tanks, you should be able to pick it up at your LFS for around $25. I"m pretty sure you can do it while the tank is up and running, I've heard it can be rather difficult to fix 100% though.

Grrr :x ........ I won't use my stupid magnet scraper EVER again for precisely that reason.

For my entire life I had never used one, I always used a brillo pad or razor blade, and lo and behold a hagen magnet set came with a used 55 I bought a few months back, so I used it, carefully washing the pads between cleanings (apparently I missed a grain of sand).

SKREEEEK goes the scraper...... now I have scratches on my GLASS tank. This was last week.

Never again... sorry about your acrylic :cry: that sucks!!!!!

Razor blades or soft long handled scrapers have always worked and never scratched (for glass). I'm stickin with those from here on out.

Since you have an acrylic tank I think you can get plastic scraping blades for it (Don't use a razor blade on yours of course)

Magnets even scrape glass tanks? My tank is glass and I use a magnet but the tank was used when I bought it and has a fair amount of scratches already so I can't really tell if I'm adding more?

Don't know how true this is, but I've heard snails carrying sand can actually put little scratches on acrylic tanks when they crawl across the tank.

Back
Top Bottom