Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Scissortail Goby Question

I've got a scissortail goby that I just picked up (for about 1/3 of the usual cost) *rubs hands together greedily*... anyway, he hides in the rock about 75% of the time, and I'm wondering how I'm going to get the little bugger to eat with a very hungry tomato clown in the tank... the goby is very skittish, so when I go up next to the tank, he usually heads right for the rock.

Suggestions?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Scissortail Goby Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
Suggestions?
First and foremost. The next time your at the LFS or major bookstore, pick up a copy of "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michael. It will allow you to first look up the fishs' care and behavour as well as viewing possible incompatability issues.

The scissortail (ptereleotris evides) is also known as the black dartfish and for very good reason. It is a very skiddish fish by nature and not really fish I would place in an active tank. Especially with a tomato clown.

The best possible suggestion to feeding this fish is with flake foods. The will "flow" around the tank long enough for it to dart in and out, hopefully getting enough nutrition. You should also leave the general tank area yourself after placing the food in, across the room would be best. It will permit the fish to come out "unafraid" one more thing.

Personally, I don't think this goby will de well in that tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 01:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you think I should take him back to the store? I know one store that I could actually make a profit from selling him to.

Or do you think he'll eventually become accustomed to the clown and be willing to come out and eat?

Are all gobies like this?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 08-07-2003, 03:35 AM   #4
steve-s

All gobies are not like that but a fair amount are considered rather shy. Dartfish are usually the most skiddish. The chances are 50/50 (if not less) it will ever become an active swimmer in the tank. As long as the clown does not harass it and the goby gets sufficient food there may be a chance. Returning the fish (IMO) is the better option to consider.

As I said though it most likley will not fair well and will depend also on any other fish added later on.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, he comes out of hiding to swim around on occassion, but I way overfed last night when he was out and he didn't even look at the food while the clown was just going nuts over it. Perhaps I should take him back.

I was kind of torn between a scissortail goby, firefish, and purple firefish goby. Are either of the latter two more confident?

Old 08-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
I was kind of torn between a scissortail goby, firefish, and purple firefish goby. Are either of the latter two more confident?
These are also dartfish and would most likley act the same.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I need recommendations for a replacement fish... Here are the fish I'm interested in having

Springer Dottyback
Neon Dottyback
Longhorn Cowfish (eventual requirement, but not yet)
Bi-Color Blenny
Tassle Filefish
Orbic Batfish
Damsels (most of them are cool looking)
Flame Angel
Midnight Angel
Scopas Tang
Regal Blue Tang

I'm sure there are more I'd like but these are what come to mind currently. What do you suggest of the list, and what else would you recommend?

Old 08-08-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Springer Dottyback good choice
Neon Dottyback good choice
Longhorn Cowfish (eventual requirement, but not yet) definate no
Bi-Color Blenny okay but not with dotty's
Tassle Filefish not recommended
Orbic Batfish definate no
Damsels (most of them are cool looking)aggressive, but with caution
Flame Angel with caution, coral nipper
Midnight Angel with caution,coral nipper (do not mix dwarfs, one or the other not both)
Scopas Tang definate no
Regal Blue Tang definate no
I would hold on other recommendations until you make some descision on these.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-08-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
steve-s

I should also add that the dotty's should not be mixed!! One or the other.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good news! Last night I came home with every intention of netting that scissortail and taking him back to the store. Well, when I got home he was out and about swimming around. I'd seen him do this before, but never for long.... so I threw some flakes in the tank... he wouldn't touch them... then I threw some brine shrimp in the tank and he was all over it! He didn't hide hardly at all last night!

Maybe he's going to be okay in my tank. I know he's been in captivity and eating for over 5 months. Anyway, I'm going to leave him and the clown in there alone for a couple weeks at least, and then I might add something else. I'm not sure what, but something.

Also, I got my sump yesterday. I am going to mix a little more water tonight so I can get the setup working. Hopefully things are looking up for my tank.

Tags
goby, scissortail goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com