scratches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StixS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
jus wondering if anyone here uses anything to get rid of scratches on the inside of the tank
theres nothing in the tank right now, its a pretty old tank that i got for free but still looks OK i used some scratch remover for the front but im scared of using it for the inside because of the chemicals that might get into the water...so yea jus wondering if anyone has any suggestions that might help, and buying a new tank is not an option for me :cry:

I do know you can get acrylic scratch repair kits at some LFSs. not sure how well they work.

I belive you need to drain the tank down to below the scrach line to use the repair kit. Your basicly buffing the scratch out. Once you repair the area you clean it good and fill your tank back up.

the scratch remover im using on the outside of the tank is called Novus: fine scratch remover. the website says that its ok to use for acrylic tanks but it doesnt say if its ok to use on the inside of the tank.
i asked the guy that worked at the plastic store about the scratch repair kits and he said that they work but when your done there will be a hue or the acrylic will get a bent look from the outside where the scratch was.

There are sand paper repair kits you can buy that work very well......even when the tank is filled. On line shops have them, and there's a place in oregon that makes magnets with various pads for working on a filled tank.

If you can do it before the tank is filled it works better.

It does take time and elbow grease....labor intensive. To do it right, you've got to go through 6-8 grades of sand paper, but the end result is excellent.

Works much better than the liquid stuff.

Back
Top Bottom