sea apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a very nice sea apple yesterday.
Found out they can wipe your aquarium out. Shell I get rid of it?
I googled it up and it says its reef safe. What is your opinion on it?:confused:

they are filter feeders that can nuke the tank if they die. i don't know anyone that's kept one long term. all i have ever heard about was them dying. i really don't think a closed system has enough food in the water column to sustain one.

Check this out:

Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sea Apple

According to this its a filter feeder and eats phytoplankton. It would need to be fed on a daily basis for it to survive and it cant have any fish that may pick at it which could stress it out to the point it could die and poison your tank. Also make sure the intakes of pumps and power heads are protected as they can get sucked in which again would poison your tank. They rate this animals care level as expert.

Goodluck!

You do have a real challenge on your hands if you want to keep this animal. I would try and cut the bottom off of a 2 liter bottel to use as a feeding dome. You can put that over the sea apple and try to squirt some phyto in through the top. This should let you feed it without poluting the rest of the tank with tons of nutrients. The make phyto paste that is apperently a pretty good substitute.

I would try and cut the bottom off of a 2 liter bottel to use as a feeding dome. You can put that over the sea apple and try to squirt some phyto in through the top.

Or you could use an eye dropper and just squirt the phytoplankton at its mouth once or twice a day. Should be interesting to see if it thrives.

Back
Top Bottom