Sea Cucumbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prissysmom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I have a cleaning crew (bought from Live Aquaria) and it included 2 Atlantic Sea Cucumbers. I have them in the tank but then after some reading discovered that they can be ticking time bombs that can kill your tank. I did some reading and there are no guarantees that the ones I have will be non toxic. So I removed them and put them in my QT tank. But what do I do with them? and if they can wipe out your tank why would they be included with a reef package cleaning crew to begin with!

Is anyone keeping a sea cucumber?

Many thanks!

Never mind... Found out that this species is poisonous when stressed or dies so I am not keeping them. I just don't think it's right to include them in a reef cleaning package.
Maybe they want it to wipe out your tank so you will have to buy all new?

Thanks for reading...:D

You have to seriously poke the *you know what* out of them or a fish actually try and consume (doubtful) for them to be hazardous. Of course, this does not apply to the Sea Apple's which are quite toxic and well readied to prove itself so. Most cucumbers do not do a whole lot anyways, but I wouldn't be too overly concerned.

Thanks for the replies. I called the fish store in Va beach and they said they would take them. I took them yesterday. It's a great store but I have to go through the Hampton roads tunnel (blah!) to get to it.

But who can go into a LFS without buying something? So add to feather dusters to my collection....

Back
Top Bottom