sea hair??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a sea hair (sp)...in other words a large slug! I heard it eats any kind of algea. Can someone confirm this for me?
Also are they not very active? I put him in about 4 nights ago and have only seen him 1 time since? Should I be concerned? Im concerned about him possibly dieing and messing my tank up...its a 100 gallon with a 40 gallon sump/fuge and 150-175 lbs of LR...I think it could take a hit of a small 2" slug?? Plus I have hermits and snails I that I would assume would eat him if he did die...I just tried to turn over some of my rocks (reef mind you) and see if I could find him...no luck. He does move slow for sure.

I`m sure they move slow. But if you are having a problem with algea try to cut off the source which is feeding the algea. How often are you feeding the tank.

Feed every 2-3 days...believe me when I go through the checklist of items that are not causing this, you will be scratching your head...
-Use RODI water (new filters)
-In process of replacing VHO bulbs (8-9 months old)
-3 small fish
-snails, 3 inverts, crabs, very few corals such as xenia, polyps.
-feed frozen cube food...however rinse and let set in RO water before using
-additives - zoe and vitamin c from time to time
-light period 8 hours
-TONS of water flow
-Aqua C remora skimmer - cleaned pump and skimmer recently
ON AND ON!
Been doing this 3 years with the same tank. just recently started having PO levels. Currently running phosban. Did I miss anything?

Yeah I had a problem with algea some 1 year ago...I think I changed my RO filters and it cleared up...then it has come back. Im doing all I know to do and doing ONE thing at a time to see what has an impact on it. Dont get me wrong, its not covering my tank but is in patches..and its not your normal hair algea. Its more like carpet algea and is slimy to the touch - but VERY tough to get ahold of. I have to get a toothbrush and scrub really hard to get it off. All the chemicals I add is parts A and B of ESV. CA and AK.

Wow, I was in the same boat. I have a 110gallon/no sump. Couldn't figure out why my NO3 and PO4 were slightly elevated. Didn't concern me until the algae started showing up. Ran phosban, got chaeto, do 10% water change weekly, use RO/DI water, changed my lights, cut back on light cycle, feed every 2-3 days...nothing would lower my levels.

I had a couple local reefers look at my set-up and they ALL agree - it's my skimmer. Are you running the regular Remora or the Remora Pro? The Remora is rated at 75g, but from what I've learned - even running the Remora Pro on anything larger than 75g is pushing it. I have the Remora Pro on my 110 gallon, and I had no problems for a long time then all of a sudden my PO4 is 0.1 and my nitrates will never sink below 20-30. You've got 150 gallons of water in your system - that skimmer is undersized, others may be able to back me up here. If you're using the Remora, even AquaC (who notoriously pad their numbers) only rate it for a 75g.

If you have a sump, why not upgrade your skimmer? I'm in the process of upgrading mine. If you can fit it - ASM G3 would be great for your system and you can get one as cheap as $240-ish. Not too shabby.

Well I have been running the same skimmer for 3 years and not really a problem. Plus I only have 3 small fish and feed very conservativly. And I have the equivalant of a 20 gallon fuge with macro. As soon as I put the phosban in there, my PO went to 0. I had a couple of large snails that had died and caused mine to spike.
Also I have the Remora Pro. I ran the Remora pro on a 125 and it was fine as well. I have never had even a hint of trates...Lastly I have no room for a larger skimmmer. I have the one I have no crammed in next to my sump.
Honestly I dont think it is my skimmer. i dont mean to argue but I just dont think this is it. Especially when I dont have a large bioload and dont feed very oftne.

Also I forgot to add..At the beginning of this year my fish came down with ick. I QT them and did hypo. During this time I didnt do much to my main and didnt do water changes at all...this is when my real problem started. By the time I started doing water changes again, it took me quite a while to get the algea under control. I finally did and then I started missing water changes and here we are again. However not sure what is causing it this time. Im changing the lights, then my RO filters again....etc. Will just do one thing at a time and see what has an impact. I may even have to cut back on my lighting period.

No, you know your tank better than I do. But, honestly, the fact that this happens when you miss water changes even strengthens my opinion that it is your skimmer. Your consistant water changes are the thing that has kept your tank in check all this time. My numbers were fine until I had to treat the tank and shut off the skimmer for a couple weeks. If I miss one weekly water change my numbers go up. I understand you have no room for a bigger skimmer and maybe someone else will chime in here - but, I still think that might be your problem. It has all the ear markings.

Again - just an opinion. I respect the fact that you disagree and I'm not saying you're wrong. You know your tank better than I do. But, if I'm a betting man - my money is on the skimmer.

- Skins

The skimmer will get DOC out of the water. These will eventually turn into nitrates.

Again, let me make sure I didnt leave this out. I have always had 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates until recently.

Melosu - I see you have a UV sterilizer on your reef?? I have seen where many people on here say its not good to run a UV on a reef? I had one on a previous tank and NEVER had an algea problem. UV's kill algea totally! I even asked some time ago about this and people swore up and down that UV were no good on reefs? If this is ok, I will get a UV and know with asurity the algea problem will go away. The light kills the algea spores...

I will drop the skimmer debate and allow others to help you out. But, to clarify - I did read your post. We simply have a difference of opinion. The fact that you always had 0 readings IMO doesn't eliminate your skimmer as a suspect. Mine were 0 all along as well until I missed a couple changes.

If you continue to have problems and can't seem to figure out the culprit - since the original thread was about a Sea Hare and since we've been focusing on the cause of the problem (mostly my fault - I apologize) ....you may want to post another thread with a different subject title. Post your equipment and readings again so that others may be able to chime in on what the source of the elevated readings are. I promise I'll stay out of it :)

Good luck.

- Skins

Skins
No problem! Its not that I have not ruled this out. However Im going to leave this as a very last option as a culprit. I just think that this would have been the most evident culprit if it were the skimmer. Keep in mind this has only been going on for a few months...the tank is 3+ years old. I would think it would have shown up before now. BUT again maybe not. Im looking at either my RODI filters, old lights, etc as first options...going thru those first..If I didnt want peoples opinions I would have not asked! So your fine...and could be right! :lol:

Fishman, I am aware of the UV controversy :) But IMO it is one of the MVP`s of my tank. Yes I believe they do get rid of the algea spores and they do kill free swimming parasites that make it up into the chamber. It`s been many years since I`ve had algea and ich. Is it because of the UV. I guess we will never know. It could be because I feed my tank every other day or because I QT or the skimmer or because of all these reasons. I just refuse to not fix if it aint broken. Have a Merry Christmas to all of you.

Hey Im all for it! Im glad to see someone that has success with it in the face of controversy! Good for you! Maybe I will try one as well. What all corals do you have? I didnt have ick in my tank until I took the UV off because of my reef. Maybe I will ask for one for my B-day!!
Thanks for the info

At first it was hair algae and green algea that grew on the glass...now its more like carpet algea. It grows in patches and is slimy to the touch. But when you try and grad ahold of it, you cant. I have to take the rock out of the tank and scrub the **&^&^ out of it to get it to come off! Really frustrating. And its not on every rock. Just on certain ones and ONLY the ones that are exposed to light. I have no rocks that are hid from the light that has it on them. Very odd. I do have red cyno diatoms but only from time to time. This is only the second time in 3+ years I have ever had any issues with algea..

Sounds like you have cyno again, cyno can also be green. The seahare will not eat that type of algae and if all your HA is gone the seahare will not live long.
have you checked your PO4? Things that help cyno grow are old bulbs, PO4, low flow.

Guys in my reef club were passing around a seahare to keep it alive and to get rid of there HA issues.

I will try and get a pic of it and post it. That was my original question was what if the seahare dies? Hes very hard to find and if he wont eat the stuff, then I want to get him out. I assume my tank will take a hit of him dieing - worst case scenerio.
I just finished changing all of my VHO bulbs. I also have a lot of flow. I have 2 returns and 6 maxijets in a 100 gallon tanks...the large maxijets.

Back
Top Bottom