sea horse's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Openbrain

Aquarium Advice Activist
getting a Marine Land 6 gallon cylinder tank to house sea horse's. Can you tell me what substrate, live rock or fake and aqua scape you recommend? also food type and how to set up for possible breeding.

I would do lots of your own research before starting on this adventure. Sea horses are of expert level and very hard to keep alive from my jnderstanding. I think a softer substrate, lower flow, a small amount of live rock for bio filtration, and maybe some sort of macro algae for them to hold on to should do the trick. Have you done saltwater tanks before? Experience on this build would be helpful to ya. A nano tank is hard enough as it is let alone a seahorse tank.

+1 for crystals response. Looking to do a seahorse tank also and I have many years of keeping saltwater and I'm still on the fence about it. I found a lot of info on the web went I input "seahorse corral". The dwarfs are extremely hard to keep and I would spend the extra money to get tank raised and ones that eat frozen foods. A lot easier than growing your own food seeing they have to be fed multiple times a day. Good luck and keep posting

I have had salt tanks for 20 years. I read a lot i just want some opinions on some of you all out there whom have had seahorses. I am currently growing lots of red and green Micro-algae so they will automatically have hitching posts. I'm purchasing a cylinder tank because i am aware that the babies will not do well in square tanks. It comes with a piggy back filter so the flow will be slow. I'm buying a mini 5w heater to stick inside the filter box if it'll fit if not to the side. It will have a sandy bottom and i'll buy live rock. The tank is tall so they can swim up which i read they like to do during mating.

That's pretty much right on with what I've read I was looking into gorgonian skeletons also for hitching posts so they have a more open way to hitch( instead of in amongst all the macros. What kind of seahorses are you looking at

I hope I didn't offend. Was unsure of your experience with saltwater. I always err on the side of caution with my replys to questions especially when it comes to delicate creatures like sea horses.sounds to me you have got a good plan going there and I would be interested to see how it pans out. I'm always up for learning something new in this hobby. :)

I hope I didn't offend. Was unsure of your experience with saltwater. I always err on the side of caution with my replys to questions especially when it comes to delicate creatures like sea horses.sounds to me you have got a good plan going there and I would be interested to see how it pans out. I'm always up for learning something new in this hobby. :)

Your good!!

;)

I am excited i found a great thread by Mr X and it was very helpful. I will have to make sure that water chances are exact chemistry and temperature as they are very sensitive to PH. I have a refractometer for the SG and salinity.

So here is the specs i researched and what my tank will consist of.

- marine land 6 gallon cylinder
- mini 5w heater
- marine land hang on filter (lowest flow possible)
- led lighting
- white sand bed
- hand picked smooth coralline algae covered fiji rocks so they don't get cut.

* in my 55g i am growing caluprea racemosa

image-74295151.jpg

And

* this : the green behind the coral. A ton of it.

image-487433186.jpg

I am also seeing the dragons breath making a comeback. It is all coming from a small piece of Fiji rock.

Such a great buy.

That's pretty much right on with what I've read I was looking into gorgonian skeletons also for hitching posts so they have a more open way to hitch( instead of in amongst all the macros. What kind of seahorses are you looking at

These and maybe others later:

image-297729290.jpg

image-3968272703.jpg

Found a cool site you might be interested in lots of good info. It's called fused jaw.com. Definatly watch the video called mostly true facts about seahorses from ze frank it's hilarious!

Are the LEDs you're using mostly white? What brand fixture is it?

The whole thing is Marine Land's 6 gallon cylindrical.

I am hoping she will upgrade in tank size but for now this is perfect.

You need to be careful with the kind of heater as if the seahorse wraps its tail around it they will get burnt and that can lead to infection which can mean death

Back
Top Bottom