Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

sea horse's

getting a Marine Land 6 gallon cylinder tank to house sea horse's. Can you tell me what substrate, live rock or fake and aqua scape you recommend? also food type and how to set up for possible breeding.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would do lots of your own research before starting on this adventure. Sea horses are of expert level and very hard to keep alive from my jnderstanding. I think a softer substrate, lower flow, a small amount of live rock for bio filtration, and maybe some sort of macro algae for them to hold on to should do the trick. Have you done saltwater tanks before? Experience on this build would be helpful to ya. A nano tank is hard enough as it is let alone a seahorse tank.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 for crystals response. Looking to do a seahorse tank also and I have many years of keeping saltwater and I'm still on the fence about it. I found a lot of info on the web went I input "seahorse corral". The dwarfs are extremely hard to keep and I would spend the extra money to get tank raised and ones that eat frozen foods. A lot easier than growing your own food seeing they have to be fed multiple times a day. Good luck and keep posting
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had salt tanks for 20 years. I read a lot i just want some opinions on some of you all out there whom have had seahorses. I am currently growing lots of red and green Micro-algae so they will automatically have hitching posts. I'm purchasing a cylinder tank because i am aware that the babies will not do well in square tanks. It comes with a piggy back filter so the flow will be slow. I'm buying a mini 5w heater to stick inside the filter box if it'll fit if not to the side. It will have a sandy bottom and i'll buy live rock. The tank is tall so they can swim up which i read they like to do during mating.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's pretty much right on with what I've read I was looking into gorgonian skeletons also for hitching posts so they have a more open way to hitch( instead of in amongst all the macros. What kind of seahorses are you looking at
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I hope I didn't offend. Was unsure of your experience with saltwater. I always err on the side of caution with my replys to questions especially when it comes to delicate creatures like sea horses.sounds to me you have got a good plan going there and I would be interested to see how it pans out. I'm always up for learning something new in this hobby.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal A View Post
I hope I didn't offend. Was unsure of your experience with saltwater. I always err on the side of caution with my replys to questions especially when it comes to delicate creatures like sea horses.sounds to me you have got a good plan going there and I would be interested to see how it pans out. I'm always up for learning something new in this hobby.
Your good!!

I am excited i found a great thread by Mr X and it was very helpful. I will have to make sure that water chances are exact chemistry and temperature as they are very sensitive to PH. I have a refractometer for the SG and salinity.

So here is the specs i researched and what my tank will consist of.

- marine land 6 gallon cylinder
- mini 5w heater
- marine land hang on filter (lowest flow possible)
- led lighting
- white sand bed
- hand picked smooth coralline algae covered fiji rocks so they don't get cut.

* in my 55g i am growing caluprea racemosa

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-74295151.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	152535

And

* this : the green behind the coral. A ton of it.

Name:	image-487433186.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	152539

I am also seeing the dragons breath making a comeback. It is all coming from a small piece of Fiji rock.

Such a great buy.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
That's pretty much right on with what I've read I was looking into gorgonian skeletons also for hitching posts so they have a more open way to hitch( instead of in amongst all the macros. What kind of seahorses are you looking at
These and maybe others later:

Name:	image-297729290.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	152541

Name:	image-3968272703.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	152542
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Found a cool site you might be interested in lots of good info. It's called fused jaw.com. Definatly watch the video called mostly true facts about seahorses from ze frank it's hilarious!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you set up the tank? Have an update?

Tags
sea, sea horse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com