Sea shells from the ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TamDuncan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm new to saltwater and I was wondering if you can use seashells found in the ocean in your saltwater aquarium for hermit crabs to use? If so how would I clean them so they are safe for Hermit crab use? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello, I'm new to saltwater and I was wondering if you can use seashells found in the ocean in your saltwater aquarium for hermit crabs to use? If so how would I clean them so they are safe for Hermit crab use? Thanks :)

i wouldnt use them at all, tonnes of bad stuff in them and just wouldnt wanna risk that.

I used ocean shells in my fresh water tank TBH lol. Thought they looked nice and just dropped them in. Nothing bad has happened. Although I live in kansas so any bacteria/parasites on them was long gone and dried out before they made it to my tank.
I'm sure it'll be fine as long as the shells have been dried out and rinsed off in tap water. You just don't want to get any ocean water in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could sterilize them by steaming in a covered bowl with a little water in the microwave. That would certainly kill anything potentially harmful.

It's still a better idea to not use "wild" sea shells.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think being overly cautious is better then being under, why risk putting something unknown (disease, bacteria, chemical, etc.) into your beloved aquarium if you dont need to?

I think being overly cautious is better then being under, why risk putting something unknown (disease, bacteria, chemical, etc.) into your beloved aquarium if you dont need to?

A sea shell is less likely to put one of the above in your tank than live rock or a fish.

A sea shell is less likely to put one of the above in your tank than live rock or a fish.

it could be less likely but why risk it either way, the shell could potential still absorb something nasty and could cause an issue with our tank. Its the same reason people dont use sea water from right off the beach. There is tonnes and tonnes of bad stuff in the water right off the beach. I wouldn't risk it especially due to a potential tank crash.

I used shells from grenada. Worst thing that happened to me was the shells turned to a green then brown color. Not sure what that means but I've no water quality issues

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yeah im not saying it really that it couldn't be okay, im just saying why risk it if you dont necessarily have to?

Thank you everyone, I think to be safe I will not use shells from the ocean :)

Not arguing but all the shells i have bought came from established tanks, not straight from the beach or shallow waters close to shore of the ocean where pollutants could fill them. most of my shells have probably came from snails that have died.

Back
Top Bottom