Sea Urchin questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 3 healthy urchins and knowing they aren't that expensive to buy alive .
If I was only in it for money and not the animals I could be a rich man

But on the other side , I am a LFS and buy to sell .

That are sold as umi I believe in sushi restaurants, as far as venomous, some are...usually when you stumble across one you have a concern of infection, but some, like the flower urchin, can easily cause death

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Long spine urchins (Diadema setosum) are venomous, but you really have to poke yourself well to be harmed. Most urchins in the aquarium trade are harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

urchins have a very salty taste if your into eating them !
all urchins have some kind of venom but urchins are harmless if handled correctly
if a urchin feels it's in danger it will shoot its spines at the threat almost like a porcupine,
as for becoming rich over a urchin doubt full

I have never been injected with venom while handling urchins. They aim their spines toward what they think is a threat, but unless it's like the walking through the shallow reef in bare feet scenario, I think you'll be fine. Also, the only time you'll be handling them is when you initially put them in the tank, and maybe not even then. The rest of the time they need no help from you.

My long spined blacks have gotten me more then once!
Hurt like the devil from a guy who works with sheet metal everyday.
Infection or illness I did not notice.
But the spine was like a sliver that never would come out(I tried).
I finally just let my system deal with it.
Hurt for a week +:cry: !

Back
Top Bottom