Sea water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSC1973

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a general and probably stupid question but can I use sea water from the sea?

Generally a no no unless you have the ability to test for everything ! Too many unknown polutants. Some say of you can get it off shore it would be ok, but that can be more trouble than going to a LFS and buying it.

Can you recycle the water from a water change it up I barrel it with a filter and air pump? With no livestock does it come good again? Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Not only pollutants, but you could be bringing a number of animals into your tank from very small larval stage hitchhikers, no telling what you'd get. And typically, you cannot recycle "old" water from a water change. New, clean water is best for your fish anyway :)

If you want to "recycle" your old water, just toss it in the ocean... Voila!!! Recycled. Of course in completely joking. Please dont ever dump tank water out in a natural body of water... Thats just crazy

Thanks guys I'm down here in Australia so Florida long way for water lol.

Back
Top Bottom