Seachem Ph test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone had troubles with this test? When i test it says ph is around 8.0-8.1. I tested today with a different test kit and this one says in at 8.2-8.3. Im just looking for ideas

Thanks for the help Dewey

Funny as it seems, Mine always reads the same. I also have a seatest kit I will try that and let ya know the differance if any. :|

e cat, what brand do you use? My sailfert always gives me incorrect results. My tetra was alittle better, but was difficult to distinguish between the colors.

My sailfert always gives me incorrect results.

There were some bad reagents that came out with some Salifert PH kits no too long ago, if you contact Salifert with the batch number they will replace it.

i use seachem, it comes with a vial of reference ph too make sure that your tests are correct, all of seachems test kits come with it.

ph test

Ill try thr reference test later tonight. Let me know what your results were tanks Dewey

Ok i ran my reference it says im at 8.3 .
And heres the problem I tested the water again it says im at 8.0 .

All other test come out ok. I cant figure this one out.

Thanks Dewey

8.0 isnt that bad for winter when the house is all closed up. There is less oxygen in the air. If you opened a door for 2 hours you would slowly start to see it rise. Liquid PH test are not really that accurate due to variances in how everyone sees color. If you really want to know the exact PH i would buy a Electronic PH meter.

Dewey said:
Ok i ran my reference it says im at 8.3 .
And heres the problem I tested the water again it says im at 8.0 .

All other test come out ok. I cant figure this one out.

Thanks Dewey

your ph will be different in the morning, afternoon and evening

ph test alkalinity

i did a alk. test If i did it correct. (Seacem) It took nine drops. Which i think = 4.5meg/l.

Ok what the best why i can try and raise ph.

Thanks Dewey

8.0 isnt all that bad, but if you want too raise it you can use seachems marine buffer too raise your ph and it has its own buffer and will not raise your ph above 8.3 even if you over dose.

At what point during your photoperiod are you testing the pH? The pH will be lowest in the morning or at the end of your tank's "dark" period. pH will be highest at the end of lights on. This is due to the photosynthetic activity during lights on removing carbon dioxide and giving off oxygen. A swing of .2-.3 pH points from night to day is normal in most tanks. If your pH falls out ot the 8.0-8.3 range then you may need to take corrective action. Before adding any chemical buffers I would make sure there is good surface agitation in the tank and that the surface is coming into contact with air. Often taking a cover off the tank will raise the pH by .1-.2 points alone. When carbon dioxide builds up in the water it drives the pH down. This can be fixed by increasing water to fresh air contact by opening windows nearby, going with an uncovered tank, or bubbling fresh air through the water via a skimmer or sump. And now I've rambled on too long :D

Re: ph test alkalinity

Dewey said:
i did a alk. test If i did it correct. (Seacem) It took nine drops. Which i think = 4.5meg/l.
Ok what the best why i can try and raise ph.
If the results of the alk test are accurate, I would not suggest using anything to adjust your ph chemically. The low ph (if accurate) will be environmental not chemical. You need to look at your system for possible causes. Insufficient surface aggitation, covered tank and as already suggested too much ambient CO2. Low O2 will be your problem moreso than anything else.

Cheers
Steve

Actually 4.5 mEq/l would be accurate. The instructions read:

SeaChem said:
3. Each drop is equal to 0.5 mEq/l. The number of drops to get to yellow divided by 2 is the total alkalinity.

So 9/2= 4.5 mEq/l

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom