seachem reef plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisanthrope

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
has anyone used this product? I purchased this a week ago, I used it that night, tightened the lid and left it setting out for a week before I read the fine print that said it needs to be refrigerated after use! it isnt sold refrigerated. this is expensive stuff....do you think it bad now? should I toss it?

My guess would be that it isn't good anymore...that's just a guess. I used this product for a while and didn't see any results that I could attribute to its use. YMMV.

what would you recommend? the LFS told me to switch between three different products that add similar elements but I thought he might just want me to buy more stuff.

Assuming (from your profile) that this is for the 10g, I wouldn't use any additives. Most people rely on small weekly water changes to keep water parameters good on small tanks...it worked for me. The salt is lots cheaper than the additives anyway. I'd change out about 2 gal per week.

I agree, the only thing you might need to add is a CA and ALK supplament like kalkwasser or one of the two part supplaments like b-ionic. It is important to keep in mind, you should not add anything to your tank you do not test for.

really....! what a sucker. I had the LFS sell me all these things.

so the RO water will contain bromide, molybdenum, iron, manganese, cobalt, potassium, inositol, choline, etc... and will be replenished by weekly water changes?

If I could bother you again..
I do add calcium(seachem reef complete) which includes mag and strontium.
the test kit I have for calcium recommends a reading of I believe 450

and I have also been adding Iodine (seachem reef iodine)
I do not have a test kit for Iodine yet, I have just been following the instructions for now. I know... this weekend.

10 gal LR / LS, with green star polyps, yellow polyps, mushroom, buttons, xenia, and a blastomussa.

now with the inhabitants listed do I need to be adding the Iodine?
instructions state 2.5 ml twice a week

the LFS also insisted that I buy micro vert to feed the corals and also frozen brine shrimp to feed the yellow polyps. I have been told later on a forum that this is not necessary but what do you think.

any thing else you can think of?

thanks

thisanthrope said:
so the RO water will contain bromide, molybdenum, iron, manganese, cobalt, potassium, inositol, choline, etc... and will be replenished by weekly water changes?
The salt will contain everything you need to replenish the elements in the tank. I would suggest confirming the alk/Ca balance after mixing some though, I have found lately that some saltmixes are a little "off spec"". The only time additives would be needed is possibley with a heavy coral load or extreme skimming.

If I could bother you again..
I do add calcium(seachem reef complete) which includes mag and strontium.
the test kit I have for calcium recommends a reading of I believe 450
That is actually fine but make sure you keep a balanced alk along with it. @450 ppm, a proper alk level would be 12-13 DKH. You can check >>here<< for future reference.

and I have also been adding Iodine (seachem reef iodine)
I do not have a test kit for Iodine yet, I have just been following the instructions for now. I know... this weekend.
10 gal LR / LS, with green star polyps, yellow polyps, mushroom, buttons, xenia, and a blastomussa.
now with the inhabitants listed do I need to be adding the Iodine?
instructions state 2.5 ml twice a week
The only thing in that list using "extra" iodine would possibley be the Xenia. Testing what you add is always a must but you will be able to confirm the neccessity after the test kit arrives. If doing weekly water changes, do the test several hours after the change and then a few days later to see how much it's depleted.

the LFS also insisted that I buy micro vert to feed the corals and also frozen brine shrimp to feed the yellow polyps. I have been told later on a forum that this is not necessary but what do you think.
If there are no fish in the tank being fed regularly, then you will need to suppliment the corals with food to some degree. I would skip the LFS stuff and instead suggest some >>blender mush<<

Cheers
Steve

Although I don't have any Xenia in any of my tanks, I tried adding iodine to one tank and didn't add it to the other. I saw no difference over a period of about a month. Scientific proof? Not hardly! Just what I noticed in my tanks. I was using Lugols and testing every other day. I have read that excessive concentrations of iodine can inhibit growth of your green star polyps...I didn't see any difference in mine either way. Having said that, I agree with Steve 100%.

right..the salt. I am going to have to do some research on alkinity. I thought you were refering to PH. I am not quite sure on how to test alk or calculate it. that might be on a different thread. I did a search for test kits and nothing came up.

the blender mulch sounds tasty but seems like over kill on a nano when only the yellow polyps are going to take the chunks and the rest will filter feed right?

anyways thanks for everyones advice.

The shrooms, buttons and blastomussa will all eat the chunks as well. The xenia will not "filter" feed, it has not gut, it actually feeds on DOC, not any particulates or plankton.

For test kits I would recommend Salifert test kits, they are very accuarate and reasonably easy to use as well as reasonably priced.

>>Here<< is a very good article on alkalinity.

to not sound like a complete idiot....

Quote:
"I am going to have to do some research on alkinity. I thought you were refering to PH. "

I didnt mean Power Head. I meant pH. and I do test for pH but am still not sure what Alkilinity has to do with Alkinity.

no need to reply. I will research that on my own.

thankyou

Back
Top Bottom