Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Seachem Stability

I'm starting a new tank and have had 2 ppm ammonia levels for 7 days now. I got a wild hair and thought I'ld go to the pet store and see if they had some bacteria that I could jump start things with. I was hoping to get an old filter or gravel. At the store I weighed the options and thought starting a new bacteria strain in my tank sounded better than using the pet stores existing strain so I purchased Seachem Stability. I dosed the first days worth of Seachem Stability and then did a little look at reviews. I've read multiple forum discussion on this product and the main concern everyone has is that the strain may cause a bacteria crash at some point. I think this concern is largely do to the directions that require monthly use of the product. I have a question in to Seachem stating that I plan to use that product to start my bacteria and then never use the product again asking if this going to be a problem... so my question to everyone here is has anyone else out there used the product for a 1 time startup and then never used the product again for monthly bacteria maintenance? I'm not really in a huge hurry to start my tank, is it too late to abandon the Seachem and let the tank cycle on its own?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by granzow1 View Post
I'm starting a new tank and have had 2 ppm ammonia levels for 7 days now. I got a wild hair and thought I'ld go to the pet store and see if they had some bacteria that I could jump start things with. I was hoping to get an old filter or gravel. At the store I weighed the options and thought starting a new bacteria strain in my tank sounded better than using the pet stores existing strain so I purchased Seachem Stability. I dosed the first days worth of Seachem Stability and then did a little look at reviews. I've read multiple forum discussion on this product and the main concern everyone has is that the strain may cause a bacteria crash at some point. I think this concern is largely do to the directions that require monthly use of the product. I have a question in to Seachem stating that I plan to use that product to start my bacteria and then never use the product again asking if this going to be a problem... so my question to everyone here is has anyone else out there used the product for a 1 time startup and then never used the product again for monthly bacteria maintenance? I'm not really in a huge hurry to start my tank, is it too late to abandon the Seachem and let the tank cycle on its own?
I used that when I started a tank. I dosed for like a week then not too long after that my tank was cycled and I never touched it again. Never had any ammonia spikes or anything of that nature. But I also dosed my take with a shot of StartZyme on the third day. Might be why mine never crashed :/ now u got me wondering haha

Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only use it when I first start up a tank, or if I have killed off my BB with meds or whatever. I love it. I have zero knowledge about the science, but I keep a bottle on hand anyway.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My LFS swears by it, and I use it regularly during water changes as well...
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sorry to make you wonder FishDaAx, I'm really trying to bring clarity to the issue not more confusion.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok I made the decision today to be the guinea pig. I continued with the dosing and plan to cycle my tank with Seachem Stability. I'm trying to grow edible shrimp in an aquaculture setup and plan to never change the water or add any more seachem stability so I'll update if I have any nitrogen crashes. I suspect that I wont because of Seachem. I did some more reading and someone else posted Seachems tech support response to this issue and Seachem said their bacteria reproduces just like any other bacteria, that answers seemed sufficient for me to at least give it a try.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok I made the decision today to be the guinea pig. I continued with the dosing and plan to cycle my tank with Seachem Stability. I'm trying to grow edible shrimp in an aquaculture setup and plan to never change the water or add any more seachem stability so I'll update if I have any nitrogen crashes. I suspect that I wont because of Seachem. I did some more reading and someone else posted Seachems tech support response to this issue and Seachem said their bacteria reproduces just like any other bacteria, that answers seemed sufficient for me to at least give it a try.
Never change the water??.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Haha, that's the plan I visited a shrimp farm where they grew shrimp in swimming pools and said that they hadn't changed the water in 3 years. I didn't see the nitrate reading but he said that they were off the charts. The tanks had no filters of any kind. All they had was about 20-30cfm of air running airlifts to keep the bacteria, food, and waste suspended in the water. I'm going to use some filter material as a per filter and a large moving bed filter. Then maybe after 3-4 months or when my first batch if shrimp is done lower the nitrate levels with some plants before restocking.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Haha, that's the plan I visited a shrimp farm where they grew shrimp in swimming pools and said that they hadn't changed the water in 3 years. I didn't see the nitrate reading but he said that they were off the charts. The tanks had no filters of any kind. All they had was about 20-30cfm of air running airlifts to keep the bacteria, food, and waste suspended in the water. I'm going to use some filter material as a per filter and a large moving bed filter. Then maybe after 3-4 months or when my first batch if shrimp is done lower the nitrate levels with some plants before restocking.
I don't understand how that would be possible. Is there a name for that method?
I get aquaponics- where the plants are the filter for the fish/shrimp, but there has to be SOME sort of filtration, otherwise wouldn't the water quality become so degraded that it couldn't support aquatic life?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I don't claim to be an expert on the process at all I just visited a shrimp growing facility similar to the one in the attached link which explains the process a little rdmshrimp.com The process is called zero exchange aerobic heterotrophic system (ZEAH) The way it was explained to me was large amounts of air through air lifts suspend everything then shrimp eat the food and bacteria and keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at zero. Occasionally excess waste builds up at the bottom of the airlifts and has to be removed by taking a handful out. I lost my appetite for shrimp after visiting and decided that if I was going to try this the water needed to be filtered. Hopefully by filtering that doesn't mean that I need to do water changes...

Tags
seachem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com