Seahare Question - again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you saw I recently acquired a sea hare for an algea problem. Well he ventured into a Seio pump and was stuck to it. When I tried to get him off the pump he started emitting "purple poop" from his backside. DOes anyone know about this stuff? Is that his blood or toxins? Its a 140 gallon (total) tank with a fuge (macro). I have started running cardon immediately. Any ideas?

eek, that purple dye is toxic so carbon is a good start. I would also do a good water change to be safe.

Yes Im going to do that as well. I only have about 20 gallons made up right now but will make more tonight. I guess this is a good start. The sea hare didnt get but about 2 good squirts out before I got him out of the tank. I would think that this amt would do much harm.

Yeah I feel bad for the little guy but I threw him right in the trash. I wont let a $30 item ruin a tank!! Guess I will have to find something other than a slug to clean my algea up for me!

I’m confused by the “purple poop” comment. I have a California Sea Hare and it always has long strands of poop coming from it. If it was hanging from it than it wasn’t the dreaded dye that they can emit. That is more like an octopus dye and not at all like poop. It’s a shame you got rid of him, they are great algae eaters.

You might have to clean it up by yourself by finding out the source. Good luck and let us know if you need help

I think the source might be your protein skimmer. Hahaha - just kidding, fishman. I couldn't resist :)

- Skins

The purple die came from his rear end...its the ink as you called it. However not a lot got into the tank. From what I have read its not all the toxic but can be. So far its been some 2-3 hours and all of my fish and corals are fine. I immediately started running carbon and am going to do a water change tonight.
Plus you could tell the pump had done some damage to his body as he had some little bubbles from being sucked on.
I didnt want to get rid of him for sure. I just am not going to risk him staying in there and emitting the purple die stuff and killing my tank.
I called the LFS and they said these things die in peoples tanks and have never lost any fish or corals. Also read on other websites that people have had them die in their tanks and nothing was killed because of it.
With it being a 140 gallons of water and he only got off 2-3 good squirts then I think I dodged a bullet if indeed the purple stuff is toxic.

Thanks Skinny! Yikes not again! I didnt want to post to that thread again as I didnt want people to think it was the same issue! Man what a pain this hobby can be sometimes!

Sorry for your loss, I didn't know he had already died. Mine climbs on the pump intakes all the time and keeps on going. Your seio pumps out quite a bit more gph than my 1200's do though. Glad the rest of your fish/inverts are doing well :D

Again he was still alive but didnt look well at all. I didnt want him to die in my tank. I hate to lose anything and thats been my luck lately. Lost a peppermint shrimp about 4 days ago...got suck into a pump without a guard on it. Needless to say I took the pump out. All of the pumps in my tank have guards on them now..To make matters worse I just got my sea hare about 1 week ago! ARG

Well its been some 8-9 hours later and still all of the fish and corals all ok. I did about a 20 gallon water change and am making more water for another one on Thurs. Also running carbon and will change it out tomorrow.
If anyone else can think of anything else to do, let me know. I would think that if something were going to happen to the fish it would have happened by now. JMO

Back
Top Bottom