seahorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkey471

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, i am thinking starting a dwarf seahorse tank. i know that hydroids can be deadly and that fenbendazole can get rid of them . i allso heard that fenbendazole can kill some corals. does anyone know what corals can be killed. any other tips

thanks

If your keeping seahorses you won't be able to keep corals anyways since the flow will be almost non existent.

you wont want anything else alive in the tank, Live Rock has critters, some of which can kill and eat the baby seahorses. You dont want much of a flow, plus live corals will sting them.

seahorse.org - Tankmates

^helped me out a lot when I was studying how to take care of them. But for now I dont think Im ready to grow the live food every day and everything that it takes to take care for of them, maybe when I win the lotto and can sit at the house all day :D

thanks,:)

would a larger seahorse be able to withstand the water flow,

I dont know about the water flow, but I do know from reading that the larger seahorses are easier to take care of cause you can train them to eat frozen foods.

any food recomdations or tips

i know they can eat brine shrimp

im looking at ether dwarf seahorses or sea ponies.

what pump would you recomend for them

Last edited by a moderator:
well I know dwarf ones need live food 2 to 3 times a day, so if you cant keep up with that. I would go with the larger ones, they can eat frozen brine shrimp, Myrais shrimp etc.

what tank size would recomend

there is a 6 gallon i like but it might be to small

i would like something tall

20 gallon extra highs are great for seahorses. That's what I got when I was setting one up. They have the same footprint as a 10 only twice the height.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121015_101536.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121015_101536.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 87
^ +1

any column tank is actually better for seahorses, they are a up and down kinda fish instead of a side to side. a 15/20g Column would be perfect for normal seahorses.

Now if you end up going with dwarfs, a 5 gallon max. unless you know what your doing as a 10 gallon is too spread out for the food. So youll be pumping in more food then they need, cleanin more, etc.

^ +1

any column tank is actually better for seahorses, they are a up and down kinda fish instead of a side to side. a 15/20g Column would be perfect for normal seahorses.

Now if you end up going with dwarfs, a 5 gallon max. unless you know what your doing as a 10 gallon is too spread out for the food. So youll be pumping in more food then they need, cleanin more, etc.

This is a good point. The extra water volume is nice though. I have a few of them and I keep them in a small 'satellite breeder box' which is basically a small air driven refugium. I couldn't imagine keeping them in the big tank and plan to possibly set up a 5G above the 29G and pipe them together to circulate water.

i`m going to get a larger seahorse. i know they are weak swimmers, but can i keep soft corals with them? i have seen photos of tanks with them. what is the ideal filter setup for them?

thanks

i`m going to get a larger seahorse. i know they are weak swimmers, but can i keep soft corals with them? i have seen photos of tanks with them. what is the ideal filter setup for them?

thanks

I am following this thread. I want to do some research on this and hopefully get some seahorses as well, I'm thinking in a separate tank hooked into my sump.

i have been looking for a tank and does anyone know where i can buy one thats not to pricy

i found one at petco

it is 15 gallons and tall for 150

monkey471 said:
i have been looking for a tank and does anyone know where i can buy one thats not to pricy

i found one at petco

it is 15 gallons and tall for 150

Craigslist or Aquabid.com.

Back
Top Bottom