seahorse question regarding filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is always the more filtration the better. But in a SW tank the only filtration you need is live rock and a skimmer. So on that note the bigger skimmer the better. But yes, they do not like current.

It is always the more filtration the better. But in a SW tank the only filtration you need is live rock and a skimmer. So on that note the bigger skimmer the better. But yes, they do not like current.
it all needs current so like my question stated what does the gph need to be

It depends on what size tank it is. Because the gph needs to be enough for the tank to be circulating and keep the tanks system stable but not enough were the sea horses are going to be blown away. If it is something like a 40g plus i do not think it matter because the real current comes from the powerheads but if it is a nano then you might have too much current from just the output even though i dought it.

It depends on what size tank it is. Because the gph needs to be enough for the tank to be circulating and keep the tanks system stable but not enough were the sea horses are going to be blown away. If it is something like a 40g plus i do not think it matter because the real current comes from the powerheads but if it is a nano then you might have too much current from just the output even though i dought it.
Its a twelve gallon set up. and i know the 10x gph rule for regular tanks but since these need not alot of current....

That is a good rule IF you need enough turn over for the fishes bio-load. If you have sea horses then you should only really having the sea horses in the tank (especially in a 10g). So honestly i think that is fine, just try to redirect the flow of the output so it is not effecting them directly and do not add any additional flow. You could even do less then the recomended 10x turn over and be fine.

That is a good rule IF you need enough turn over for the fishes bio-load. If you have sea horses then you should only really having the sea horses in the tank (especially in a 10g). So honestly i think that is fine, just try to redirect the flow of the output so it is not effecting them directly and do not add any additional flow. You could even do less then the recomended 10x turn over and be fine.
Its going to be just sea horses and maybe crabs or snails one of the two, and well with the current should i just get a filter for a normal ten gallon like the top fin 10?

in a twelve gallon like im going to build you can fit two atlantic seahorses at least thats what ive read. They dont get that big if you get the right species. and you cant keep other fish in the tank with them. They are slow eaters, theyll look at the food for a couple of seconds before they eat it.

Now what should my gallon per hour output be? I was planing on having 2-3 inch sand bed, maybe 5-10 lbs live rock. and Some corals for the seahorses to be able to latch to. But i was going to cycle it and then have one or to dominos in there to establish it for the 6 months needed before the coral and seahorses

Sound slike you figured it out. You can get a bigger filter then that with no problem. You can have current, that is why they latch on to stuff but you do not want a TON of current. If you only have current from the output of a filter you are ok.

Sound slike you figured it out. You can get a bigger filter then that with no problem. You can have current, that is why they latch on to stuff but you do not want a TON of current. If you only have current from the output of a filter you are ok.
im just wondering if 80gph is enough for a 12 gallon tank :confused:

Back
Top Bottom