Seahorse Raising and Breeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitty2234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Fish Friends,

I have always wanted seahorses. I have done some investigation into how other people are raising and breeding them.

I have an important question: Has anyone tried or considered raising them as if they were in the ocean?

I am asking if anyone has tried adding a slow current and plenty of food?

kitty2234

My lfs had some thaT were breeding its just a case of nopwer heads, no heaters in the display tank, plenty of places for them to anchor on to and they also had them on frozen foods.

Hi Woody,

I was thinking about trying to have a brine shrimp colony in their tank. Maybe separated -partially - by a divider.

kitty2234

Just be wary as the shells could clog the digestive systems of your sea horses so maybe do it in a separate tank and add brine but wouldn't do that in same tank

Hi Woody,

What do you consider the diet of a seahorse in the ocean, might include? I figured that about 90% might have been brine shrimp.

kitty2234

Brine shrimp isn't actually from the ocean it's from salt lakes with higher salinity than the ocean so would not be in a seahorse diet in the wild. Seahorse live off mainly shrimp of all kinds in the wild so any shrimp should be ok to feed them but I would try to get them onto frozen brine sooner rather than later as this has added nutrients most live feeder foods would not.

If you could get a good population of copods and amphipods in tank would help a lot towards they're feeding but I would still top up with frozen brine personally. Must admit though I have never kept sea horses before.

Hi Woody,

My research showed that they are better off in taller aquariums. I already have a lot of aquariums, but am likely to buy one, especially for them. When I am ready.

I am trying to get used to the concept of maintaining salt water, since it is different from fresh water.

kitty2234

Yeah I'd o taller. Make sure you get a tank with a sump

If you're new to saltwater, I would wait on the seahorses. Some species aren't "expert only", but they're still difficult. I've tried to keep them three times and have not succeeded. And I can keep discus. I would establish a good saltwater tank with some easy- medium care fish and see how that goes for at least a year. Good luck to whatever you choose, though.

Back
Top Bottom