Seahorse tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok...I know that some bad things have been said about seahorses, but I just fell in love with them last night. I think some of the falling in love has something to do with my dad liking them too, since he is not really into the hobby but was intrigued by these guys. Here is the big question... Can I get like 3 sea ponies and put them into a 5.5 gallon tank? I am thinking about building a hood, and putting a 32 watt CSl retro in the hood. I would love another tank and this one will be going in the kitchen. It would not have a sump, just a DSB and about 7 lbs of LR. All help is appreciated. I would want to keep goniporia, softies, polyps and zoos. NO LPS. I appreciate all advice. I would also have an auto top off system to handle the evap.

where can you get the auto top off systems at??? or how do you make one? Seahorses have always been a great experience to look at but to actually take care of them is another story :? I hear they are extremly hard to care for and you have to have lots of objects for them to hang-onto. Although i have no experience personally my friend used to have 2 of them...He was a very experience aquariust, but he has had many problems with them. Not trying to be all negative, but what the heck they are awesome to look at, and if you can take care of them right it would be a very good reward to watch them :)

I am gonna buy a float switch off ebay and get a teeny powerhead for the pump, should work fine.

now how often does the float switch usually have to add water i have Never used one before and are they all that important?

An auto top off system usually impments a float switch as has been described. The float switch can either be mechanical (simular to the float in a toilet tank) or electric. If its mechanical then as the water level lowers it opens up to allow water to gravity flow into the system. When the water rises to a specific point the float cuts the flow off.

In an electircal switch a simular float is in place. When the float drops to a specific level it opens a relay and that completes an electrical circit that powers a small pump. The pump then puts water in the sump slowly via a hose. As the water level rises the float rises till it eventually closes the relay and that in effect cuts power to the pump.

The use of a float switch allows your tank to remain as consistant water level as possible. If you use a gravity feed system then weekly you would replentish a bucket or some other container that held your replentishment water. If you used an electrical system you could use a much larger container like a 30 gal trashcan OR if you got real fancy you could connect the float switch up to a RO/DI unit and in essence you would never have to add more water to your system except for when you did a water change.

Thanks aaron.

Float switches are important in small tanks where the salinity can fluctuate.

now how often does the float switch usually have to add water

It all depends on how much evap. you get and what size container you have your top-off water in.

The corals mentioned are not a good idea to have with seahorses. Some corals
sting, others will be used as hitching posts and another thing is that most corals
like a decent current. A seahorse tank cannot stand alot of current. When you say
seaponies, are you referring to dwarf horses? If not, A tank that small would not be suitable for most varieties. Seahorses are SUPER sensitive to fluctuations in tank parameters.
If all this has not discouraaged you, one final warning, be sure to buy captive bred horses or a different type of war awaits you.

I was going to get dwarf seahorses no doubt, and they will be captive raised ones. It wont happen for a while, because I want to finish the 7 bow first.

I did not want to sound super negative, I think it would be a close call as to which is the number one thing purchased that is doomed to die due to lack of knowledge about care, seahorses or anemone....but you are good about doing research first.

o man, the one thing i did not want was a comparison to an anemone. That really stinks. O well, I will keep researching

ahh, but you will do ok for 3 reasons, the first, you have some saltwater experience, the second, you do your homework and the third is that dwarf seahorses are quite commonly captive bred!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am going to see a freind on Sun. he has over 800 gallons of SW in his home and is setting up a 500 gallon tank!! He has a 55 gallon seahorse tank and I can't wait to see it. All his horses are tank raised and I cant wait.

He has some of the rarest fish in NC, and his lion is over 16 inches long!

Back
Top Bottom