Seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sister would like some seahorse(s) for her room. What size tank and filter would she need for one, an how much do they cost?

It would have to be a seahorse only tank. It could be aminmum of 10 gallons but I would recommend getting around a 20 gallon maybe less.

The tank size should be at least a 55. The filter should be a canister. And seahorses are like 150 a seahorse.

I have seen 10 gallons with 2-3 seahorses. Seahorse dont really need too much room but I think a 20 gallon will be sufficient for 3.

i was thinking dwarf seahorses. i heard they only need 5g for a pair. what do they eat? thx:fish2::fish1:

If it's your first salt water tank I would recommend not starting with seahorses or a 5g tank. Smaller tanks are much harder to maintain and seahorses require constant care and feeding. Unless you have all the time in the world to monitor these I guys I would start bigger and with something like clownfish ;)

You will also need a tank with a sump if you want sea horse as you can not have a heater in the tank or they will burn themselves using it as an anchor point. Not saying not to try it but if you want to keep sea horses read into specific requirements like slow fussy eating, very low flow and the anchor point before going too far. Would defo be a cool tank though

+1 with woody's reply. Seahorses have very special needs and many people dont knoe that they actually thrive in a cooler tank. Low flow is also needed so the seahorses dont get pushed around. Maintaining a seahorse tank may seem difficult, but it is just like a nornal tank with different needs. It is really worth it.

A canister? I believe you are better off with a biocube. I bought my wife one, everything is contained and you can have 3 or 4 in the tank. It has a fuge/sump built it and they are not that pricy. I was able to stock mine with live rock, sand, and water for $380. Yes they take special care but it is all worth it.

Back
Top Bottom