Sealife protein skimmer venturi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WJH1748

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I setup a Sealife 75 skimmer, powered by a AquaClear CAP800 pump. The tube that is connected to the pump outlet to pull in air, does not. It is pushing water thru? I have no bubbles in the skimmer tube. Also there is a water line mark on the skimmer tube. However the water level keeps rising about four inches above this? ???? TX WJH

I have a Sealife Systems Skimmer that has a RIO 800 on it... I did not like the diffuser for the venturi tube that came with it so I bought one from my LFS with a screw cap.. You can use an air line screw valves for this also... The thing is, if you have the venturi tube hooked up, and take the end cap off, does it suck air into it?

I know mine does, so much in fact that the water doesn't come close to the water line.... You will need the screw valve to adjust the flow of air into the skimmer to match the water line...

Tx Tim.. If you pull the end off my tube, there is a small stream of water coming out. No air what so ever is being drawn. This pump came with a slip on tube that fits over the pump outlet. This small tube has a small inlet where the air tube connects. Does your air tube connect to the out side of the pump, or the inlet side?

A rio has a special venturi adapter for the pump, I would imagine an aquaclear would need one as well, as I've seen maxijets require one to. I think that is your problem.

LOL, I know the feeling... Is it working good now? The outflow of the skimmer has an adjustable hieght to it also.... You can pull up on it and it will slide up...this is another way to calibrate the water level in the skimmer... It took me a while, but I finally got it to where it pulls out a lot of goo...

What if the skimmate gets to the cup drain? Would it dump into the sump

Yep. That's what would happen. I have an airline tube attached to the collection cup drain and it empties into a 1 gal bucket sitting outside my sump. I thought that was way too big until the skimmer went crazy and lots of water was going into the collection cup. Overflowed my bucket over dinner.

Same thing happened to me when I tried that and water got all under my sump so for now on I just plugged the drain

Just did it again for me. Seems to happen whenever I do a water change. I guess it just takes it some time to get going right again.

I saw in your other thread that you are thinking of converting your wet dry system. I'm going to do the same thing. Mr X is explaining how to do it in my "do I need a ball valve" thread under the equipment section. Im asking plenty of newbie questions. Maybe they can help you too.

Back
Top Bottom