Securing/glue for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
Looking for some feedback on this. I'm aware that everything needs to not have mildew resistance stuff in it... I have some epoxy that kinda worked...but I have a colt that is floating around the bottom of my tank. He has almost no base. When I tried to epoxy him onto the base it just didn't hold.

Basically, I'm looking for some sort of gel glue that I can apply in the water of my DT. I would like to put it on one of the larger pieces of LR I have, but can't remove it due to the entire aquascape collapsing.

Nope it is safe. I try to do it out of the tank and let it dry for a min before I put it back in. Glueing it in the tank is much harder.

I dont think the op has the choice to remove the LR from the tank like mention in the first post

I didn’t tell him to... believe it or not I can read. I was simply giving him advice on something completely new to him. It can be done out of the water or at the very bottom of the display tank.

Why the bottom of the DT and not the middle or top? I've had these corals for awhile and know where they are doing well...The colt is ok at the bottom, but did better higher up before I broke his crappy paperthin base and he gets blown by the circulation in the tank.

I was simply giving an example of the hardest area to do it lol. It can be done in water or out, anywhere.

Lol. No reason to post twice over the same thing. You said try and take it out. All I am saying is he said he can't.

I personally would put it up higher closer to the light if it would do better. Maybe that wag you could also do it out of the water. It would probably be better that way anyways.

Doesn't matter. He knew he should try and take it out to let it cure. He said it before your post.

But it doesn't matter.
Anyways like I said before I would try and put it closer to the light if possible. That way to maybe you could glue it on out of the water which would make a better seal.IMO

Now your putting words in his mouth and I’m gonna bite my tongue.

Anyways, I say put it where ever you want it. It is a lower light coral and can easily take over your tank. If it were me, I would save the high spots in the tank for coral that require more light and don’t spread like weeds. It also may sting other corals so keep that in mind.

Sniperhank said:
I was thinking about using that...but wasn't sure if it would kill off my system if used in the DT and not allowed to "cure".

He said it right here thank you very much! So I am not just saying things. After that post you then said what you said.

Oh my god you child. He is only saying there that he doesn’t know if that product needed to cure or not. He is not saying I know I should try and take it out to let it cure.

Sniper im sorry the thread has turned into this. If he could read properly he never would have made his first post and this wouldn’t have started. As a final response to this thread ----Everyone uses superglue gel for this purpose. It does not need to cure and can be done in or out of the tank.

First off not a child, thank you. I could be 80 for all you know. And when someone says that he didn't no if it would be ok not to let it cure. That's saying he knows he should. I can read thank you that's how I found the site. And I got a 98% on my literacy test so ya.... And like I said it didnt matter.

I was reading some other forums sites and many people speak strongly of using super glue. Many people say the gel is a lot better. I believe you should be able to pick some up at the dollar store for a good price. Dollar stores always buy bulk to so it's always cheaper. Only thing is, sometimes they get a shipment of things not exactly up to standards. Electric tape for example sometimes has the worst adhesive job.

I use Krazy Glue the gel type that dries clear and have never had any issues. You can just but a little wherever and stick your hand under the water and place whatever, where ever.

any gel type glue that's main ingredient is cyanoacrylate is fine for gluing corals.
That said, i have a heck of a time gluing leathers and things of that nature that tend to slime up a lot. I would suggest rubber banding it to some rubble. It will attach on it's own after a few days IME.

Well, my colt was just an example. I want to move my Ric too...the bright white epoxy that is holding him to rubble is...annoying, gross, and unnatural. If I ever get time away from work I'll try to get myself some loctite or gel glue.

Off the topic, but I moved things around last night so I could get before mentioned colt off the sandbed. Turns out my Kenya tree had attached some of it's base to another rock. It sure didn't like being taken off of it. We'll see if it survives.

Back
Top Bottom