See Thru Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In quest of my dream setup, I have a question on the best way to setup the filtering system.

This is going to be a 150gal 60x24x24 tank, viewed by both sides. Would it best to put the overflows on each side of the tank (built in, predrilled)? Or can it be setup with two hang on overflows on each side? I really do not know much about filtering systems, as you can probably tell, but I'm learning. What I have learned so far is from the experts in this forum

If anybody here has experienced what I'm trying to acheive, I would appreciate your input.

First do you already have the tank? If not go with the tanks that have the overflows already in them, If you already own the tank and it is empty have it drilled. The hang on versions do work but will obscure your viewing since you want to see the tank from both sides. You will also need a sump and or Refugium. There are many posts here on what type and size sump or Refugium you can use.
You did not mention as to wether this is S/W or F/W & Is it going to be a Reef setup or a Fish only. I am taking this as you will be doing S/W. For a fish only you can set your sump up as a filter with foam pads and Carbon when needed, If it is a reef setup your LR & LS will act as your filtering agent. 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR and a 4" sand bed will work well.

When you say viewed from both sides your talking about the long sides (front and back) vs the two short sides right?

A predrilled tank might be less desirable if your gonna be seeing the back alot since you will see the working end of the overflow. In this case either a hang on overflow or having the tank custom drilled on the ends (short side) to have a internal overflow in that location.

Are you going to have both ends encased in something? Like a wall? Or will one end be exposed and then basicly have 1 end up aganst something like a wall or a cabinet.

If your going ot have 1 end open and 1 end enclosed then all your plumbing and such needs to be comming from the enclosed end. The overflow can be as i described either a hang on or have the short end drilled for an interal style overflow drain. The return lines can be plumbed to come above the tank and run along the top of the tank (you wont see this because of the canopy) and then have your returns dumping water out along the lenght of the tank for good overall flow.

No, I do not have the tank yet, I'm doing all my homework before I "dive in".

If not go with the tanks that have the overflows already in them, If you already own the tank and it is empty have it drilled.

I have not yet seen overflows preinstalled on the sides of the tank, I've seen them in the back and in the corners but not on the sides.

If not go with the tanks that have the overflows already in them, If you already own the tank and it is empty have it drilled.

I was meaning that the hang on would be on the side of the tank, not on the front or back

You did not mention as to wether this is S/W or F/W & Is it going to be a Reef setup or a Fish only. I am taking this as you will be doing S/W. For a fish only you can set your sump up as a filter with foam pads and Carbon when needed, If it is a reef setup your LR & LS will act as your filtering agent. 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR and a 4" sand bed will work well

This is going to be SW / FOWLR setup, so my plans for filtration is wet/dry with a protein skimmer

I'm converting a closet in my office, one side is facing out into a hallway, the other faces into my office. the main featured side is going to be in the hallway, its more or less going to be a picture frame on the hallway wall. The other end will be facing into my office. I'm taking the closet doors off and the framing it up to accomadate a clean look on the office side.

Both ends will be accesable, I just don't want anything obstructing the see thru view from the hallway into the office,(this is really hard to explain) LOL

You say A wont be seen, do you mean by hiding it with LR

I was thinking more B myself because of the expense of drilling and the ease of using hang on's

I agree A would be a clean look, have you tryed it or seen it used?

Hows this?

you can have two fair sized overflows (or just one) the full length of the side of the tank by simply having the viewable portion of the tank stop before the overflows of the tank.

Thats what I'm trying to acheive. On a 150gal, would I need two or just one. I know if I went with two my wet/ dry would have to have two inlets and out puts, right ? I'm guessing! :?:

So this tank will only be visable from the two long sides. Having the two short ends enclosed or concelled.

Ideally two overflows and multiple returns.

For a hang on overflow www.lifereef.com

But i still would go with drilling your tank if possible.

So this tank will only be visable from the two long sides. Having the two short ends enclosed or concelled
Yes the two long sides will be viewable
But i still would go with drilling your tank if possible
Would I have to take it to a glass shop to get it drilled or can a special bit be purchased for the job.

Also, can the overflows be made by me with a certain material?

You should have a glass shop drill the holes and make sure you know if the particular panel you want drilled is tempered glass or not. If its tempered you cant drill it.

From what i understand drill cutting bits are rather expensive.

Know what size drains you want and then find out what size of hole you need cut for that assocated bulkhead fitting.

I'm not as tenured as the others here, but if both of your ends are covered up, then I think that the HOT overflow would be the best. It would do just as good job, but you would have at least 5 more gallongs to work with, considering in-tank overflow displacement. And you can set-up a pvc sump returns over the top, as well. 8)

you have 3 options available to you for your overflows:

1) a hang on overflow such as these at Life Reef. Which are rated for about 700gph for a single and 1400gph for a double. Either should be fine for your set up. You could get away with not blocking off any visible parts of your tank, but you will see a "box" in the water at the top of the tank. They are typicaly apx 5-6" wide and in the water 3-4" deep. Not a big optical nuisance but it depends on what your going or personaly.

2) a drilled overflow also recommended by FishFreek. This is a hole drilled near the top of your aquarium with a bulk head and plumbing attached and water flows into it as the water level in the tank rises. These are the most "maintenance" free IMO and also the least visible in the tank. You would not need to block of any of the viewable space of your tank with these.

3) built in overflow. These are the types of overflows seen in "reef ready" tanks but would require one or two ends of your tank be blocked of visibly.

IMO, I would go with option 2.

Back
Top Bottom