Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats what I'm trying to acheive. On a 150gal, would I need two or just one. I know if I went with two my wet/ dry would have to have two inlets and out puts, right ? I'm guessing!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
So this tank will only be visable from the two long sides. Having the two short ends enclosed or concelled.

Ideally two overflows and multiple returns.

For a hang on overflow www.lifereef.com

But i still would go with drilling your tank if possible.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
So this tank will only be visable from the two long sides. Having the two short ends enclosed or concelled
Yes the two long sides will be viewable
Quote:
But i still would go with drilling your tank if possible
Would I have to take it to a glass shop to get it drilled or can a special bit be purchased for the job.

Also, can the overflows be made by me with a certain material?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 08-10-2003, 08:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could make the overflows acrylic, although, that kinda is tough
Old 08-10-2003, 10:28 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You should have a glass shop drill the holes and make sure you know if the particular panel you want drilled is tempered glass or not. If its tempered you cant drill it.

From what i understand drill cutting bits are rather expensive.

Know what size drains you want and then find out what size of hole you need cut for that assocated bulkhead fitting.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not as tenured as the others here, but if both of your ends are covered up, then I think that the HOT overflow would be the best. It would do just as good job, but you would have at least 5 more gallongs to work with, considering in-tank overflow displacement. And you can set-up a pvc sump returns over the top, as well. 8)
Old 08-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm not as tenured as the others here, but if both of your ends are covered up, then I think that the HOT overflow would be the best.
What is a HOT overflow?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 08-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

HOT = hang on tank....like FF said,
Quote:
For a hang on overflow www.lifereef.com
Old 08-11-2003, 05:52 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

you have 3 options available to you for your overflows:

1) a hang on overflow such as these at Life Reef. Which are rated for about 700gph for a single and 1400gph for a double. Either should be fine for your set up. You could get away with not blocking off any visible parts of your tank, but you will see a "box" in the water at the top of the tank. They are typicaly apx 5-6" wide and in the water 3-4" deep. Not a big optical nuisance but it depends on what your going or personaly.

2) a drilled overflow also recommended by FishFreek. This is a hole drilled near the top of your aquarium with a bulk head and plumbing attached and water flows into it as the water level in the tank rises. These are the most "maintenance" free IMO and also the least visible in the tank. You would not need to block of any of the viewable space of your tank with these.

3) built in overflow. These are the types of overflows seen in "reef ready" tanks but would require one or two ends of your tank be blocked of visibly.

IMO, I would go with option 2.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com