Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

See Thru Setup

In quest of my dream setup, I have a question on the best way to setup the filtering system.

This is going to be a 150gal 60x24x24 tank, viewed by both sides. Would it best to put the overflows on each side of the tank (built in, predrilled)? Or can it be setup with two hang on overflows on each side? I really do not know much about filtering systems, as you can probably tell, but I'm learning. What I have learned so far is from the experts in this forum

If anybody here has experienced what I'm trying to acheive, I would appreciate your input.

Old 08-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

First do you already have the tank? If not go with the tanks that have the overflows already in them, If you already own the tank and it is empty have it drilled. The hang on versions do work but will obscure your viewing since you want to see the tank from both sides. You will also need a sump and or Refugium. There are many posts here on what type and size sump or Refugium you can use.
You did not mention as to wether this is S/W or F/W & Is it going to be a Reef setup or a Fish only. I am taking this as you will be doing S/W. For a fish only you can set your sump up as a filter with foam pads and Carbon when needed, If it is a reef setup your LR & LS will act as your filtering agent. 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR and a 4" sand bed will work well.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
When you say viewed from both sides your talking about the long sides (front and back) vs the two short sides right?

A predrilled tank might be less desirable if your gonna be seeing the back alot since you will see the working end of the overflow. In this case either a hang on overflow or having the tank custom drilled on the ends (short side) to have a internal overflow in that location.

Are you going to have both ends encased in something? Like a wall? Or will one end be exposed and then basicly have 1 end up aganst something like a wall or a cabinet.

If your going ot have 1 end open and 1 end enclosed then all your plumbing and such needs to be comming from the enclosed end. The overflow can be as i described either a hang on or have the short end drilled for an interal style overflow drain. The return lines can be plumbed to come above the tank and run along the top of the tank (you wont see this because of the canopy) and then have your returns dumping water out along the lenght of the tank for good overall flow.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, I do not have the tank yet, I'm doing all my homework before I "dive in".

Quote:
If not go with the tanks that have the overflows already in them, If you already own the tank and it is empty have it drilled.
I have not yet seen overflows preinstalled on the sides of the tank, I've seen them in the back and in the corners but not on the sides.

Quote:
If not go with the tanks that have the overflows already in them, If you already own the tank and it is empty have it drilled.

I was meaning that the hang on would be on the side of the tank, not on the front or back

Quote:
You did not mention as to wether this is S/W or F/W & Is it going to be a Reef setup or a Fish only. I am taking this as you will be doing S/W. For a fish only you can set your sump up as a filter with foam pads and Carbon when needed, If it is a reef setup your LR & LS will act as your filtering agent. 1.5 - 2 lbs of LR and a 4" sand bed will work well
This is going to be SW / FOWLR setup, so my plans for filtration is wet/dry with a protein skimmer
Old 08-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

These are my ideas.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A is my favorite since it the working part wont be seen anywhere
Old 08-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm converting a closet in my office, one side is facing out into a hallway, the other faces into my office. the main featured side is going to be in the hallway, its more or less going to be a picture frame on the hallway wall. The other end will be facing into my office. I'm taking the closet doors off and the framing it up to accomadate a clean look on the office side.

Both ends will be accesable, I just don't want anything obstructing the see thru view from the hallway into the office,(this is really hard to explain) LOL

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You say A wont be seen, do you mean by hiding it with LR

I was thinking more B myself because of the expense of drilling and the ease of using hang on's

I agree A would be a clean look, have you tryed it or seen it used?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 08-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah, 3 putts do Suck!!!

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 08-10-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Hows this?

you can have two fair sized overflows (or just one) the full length of the side of the tank by simply having the viewable portion of the tank stop before the overflows of the tank.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com