Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Seeded Filter Media from Freshwater to Saltwater?

I have established filter media from one of my freshwater tanks I'd like to give my friend who is starting up her first saltwater tank... She's going to begin the cycling process this week. I want to know if there's any difference or effect from my media being used for freshwater and her using it in her saltwater tank...
We both have Aquaclear filters and she has a 28g tank and mine is a 29g...
Mine is established for my community fish...
Any pointers or would this just be the same as using it to seed a new filter in one of my freshwater tanks like I have in the past?
Thank you

ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm only new to the aquarium game and am running into my own problems but I would think using some of your filter media would be fine as the bacteria are only eating ammonia and nitrites. I wouldn't think it would matter whether it came from salt or fresh water.
Hopefully a more experienced person will agree.

sammo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Freshwater and saltwater bacteria are not the same. Any bacteria living in the filter media of the freshwater system will die when put in the saltwater system.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filter media, freshwater, freshwater to saltwater, media, salt, saltwater, seed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com