seeding base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
how long would it take?
i will be getting some base rock (100 pounds or more)
i will put it in a clean new garbage can with a pump and heater
aafter i put in the live rock (10 pounds or so)
i would like to have an idea of how long it would take
the lr is fully cured already

Why are you doing it that way? Why not just put the base in your main to be seeded? If you want to seed it in a trash can you would be better off putting a raw shrimp in it instead of LR. It would prob take 2-4 weeks to seed.

in a few weeks i will be doing some real work to the tank (better stand ,lights ,updated flow patterns, equipment etc,
i will save all the water and sand
when i put it all back together the way i envisioned i will have the rock live
also what base rock works best?
tufa ,paridise rock, texas holyrock, etc

Live base rock will look not different than it did when you put it in the trash can. It will just be seeded with bacteria. Just use the base rock as your "base" and cover it with your live rock. I do not see you accomplishing much in anything by putting it in a trash can etc. All base rock works the same. The more porous it is the better due to increased surface area..

What Brenden said. The only thing the trash can would be good for is curing it (if needed). You can seed it by placing it as base rock, with your better looking LR covering it.

If you are looking for coraline algae on your rocks I did my own. I had them in a rubbermaid tub with about 60watts of lights on. I supplemented calcium and it took about 6 weeks before I saw a fair amount of coraline growing.

vipvenom: You grew coralline with a 60w light bulb?
greatgman: I still say you would be better off just putting the base rock in your tank and placing the LR on top of it. If you try to grow carolline on rock in a tub but do not place it where it is getting light in the main it will be a waste of time.

thanks for all the advise
i supose doing the trashcan seeding is out
apreciate the advice

i was thinking of tufa rock as my base
i can get paridise rock too
which do u think is more porous?
i think tufa

Tufa is volcanic in origin and glassy. It won't help much with your water chem, since it is not a carbonate rock.

I have both some tufa and some Texas Holey Rock ( which is Limestone, a carbonate rock) , and I notice that the Tufa does not grow coralline as well as the Holey Rock.

JG

Back
Top Bottom