Seeding Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_a_wickstrom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I get the concept of seeding base rock with a few pounds of live rock. Problem is, where do you get 3-10 lbs of live rock?

The stuff at the LFS looks just about like my current rocks, which have very little of the life I see advertized on internet sites. I also assume that the LR from the LFS is less likely to have interesting hitch hikers, since it's been sitting in his curing vat for an unknown amount of time.

Internet sites all seem to sell packages of 25 lbs or more. And while there are people selling it by the pound on ebay, I'd rather deal with someone I know is reputible.

So, is there any on-line stores that sell small quantities of LR? Should I just go through the LFS and hope it looks better after I re-cure it?

TIA

only problem with ordering a small quantity of live rock online is that the shipping charge is still gonna be pretty big probably. I'd try to find a better LFS or a fellow hobbyist who would part with a few pounds.

I agree what you'll pay in shipping may not make it worth it for you but, if you really want diversity, contact Mike or Zack at liverocks.com and see what they can do for you. Check out the sponsors forum for contact info.

Another good way is chk and see what your local reef group is. I found mine through http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80 . Be patient someone is always getting out of the hobby and selling stuff, almost always liverock. You could get ahold of small amount and not pay shipping and handling. :wink: The only other suggestion is to find another LFS that sells it by the pound and has better quality.

Thanks, but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order 25 lbs. There's not a whole lot of LR in my tank as it is, at least nothing like what I see in the members' pictures. And, hey, I get cool criiters for free!

Back
Top Bottom