Semi oily film at the top of the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmye4fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is it? Do I need to get rid of it? If so how do i do it? The levels all tested perfect. I'm a newbie (2 weeks). I bought an established 75 gallon set up with a refugium and protien skimmer. The water is clear and fish seem fine, just not sure what this stuff is at the surface of the water.

Attachments

• image-3369595364.jpg
    image-3369595364.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 78
Is your protein skimmer producing skimate? I do see a film on my tank sometimes, usually it is when I need to turn the skimmer up. How much water flow do you have?

I get it on my tanks when I don't have any surface disruption. I think it's just dust particles from the surrounding air and stagnant surface water

You want to try to avoid it by using a powerhead to create some turbulence at the surface. It will also aid in gas exchange keeping your PH where it should be...

I have no clue what skimate is? There's some light brown colored stuff in the top of it (if that's what you mean)

I will have to ask the previous owner the details on the pumps.

Come to think of it he did have is blower pointed more upward. I have it slightly down and towards the rock.

When I day newbie, I mean I don't have a clue but I'm trying to learn. So far so good though. We love it! We originally were going to buy a small 14-20 gallon setup with a couple of clownfish and fell in love with the idea. We found our setup on Craigslist. Thanks for the advice and I will post the pump info when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom