Send in the Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cweaks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am losing my mind. I've been sitting here trying to enter my aquarium into a software package. This endeavor is requiring me to do some serious identifying of the creatures that I have in my tank. I'm suddenly finding that what the LFS said was a dominoe is really a three spotted damsel. (Of course, he only has two spots, but who's counting) What i thought was a yellow tailed damsel is really just a blue damsel with a yellow tail, or is it a yellow tailed chromis. Is that really a spot on his gill or on my glasses. HEEEELLLPPPP! 8O

Actually, other than going blind, I'm about there. Believe it or not, it's come down to a pair of cute little clowns. I thought they were "percula clowns". Then I saw the "ocellaris". I have Dr. Burgess's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes, Third Edition. If you happen to have that book, the "percula" is on page 372 nestling under an anemone. The "ocellaris" is on page 377. What's the difference? I have a nice white anemone in my tank which I got for the clowns to play in. I always thought they looked so damn cute doing that. Mine of course, won't go near it. (I thought that might help.) I'll attach a photo of mine and if anyone can tell me which they are and how they know, please tell me.
Thanks,

Here is a pic of a "True" Percula clown, forgive the quality, I wanted one that showed the entire clown. You can see a "true" perc has a larger hump in it's middle stripe and tends to have more black outlining it's white stripes, as you can see the black has met between the 1st and 2nd band. IMO, your clowns are "False" peruclas (A. ocellaris, like nemo).

DSCN5358.jpg

As for deleteing images, you can either edit the post that has the attatchment (deleteing the attatchments as necessary) or you can click the little profile button on one of your posts (to view your own profile), and in the bottom right hand corner is a link to your attatchment control panel, where you can manage your attatchments.

Thanks, I can see it now. In the photo in the Atlas, the Percula was snuggled up under an anemone and it was hard to see what this easily shows. That could be why mine don't play with their Anemone. And, thanks for helping get rid of those attachments.

Back
Top Bottom